Skip to content

HONDA Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock CBR500R

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CBR500R > Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock

Every Honda from the new CB500 range will need to have an expensive valve clearance check at just 600 miles to maintain the manufacturer warranty owners have been finding out as the first of the new bikes go in for service. The new CB500 range comprises three models with an all-new parallel-twin motor aimed at the budget-conscious A2 licence holders along...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 289 days ago (04 July 2013 16:59)

Post a message in CBR500R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

I think

most savvy buyers would want to negotiate that valve check/1st service into the deal when first buying the bike.  Wonder if that was the case, would the dealer really do it, or just wipe a rag over the bolts and stamp the book?

Looking at the KTM Duke 390 for myself now   :)

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Surprised?

Sadly not. The real Honda release probably reads.... Oh dear(!), because we've skimped on the testing (to keep the price down), the rockers are a bit soft and will wear initially - never mind we'll call it a feature and frighten owners into paying for the adjustments by making it a warranty issue - and we'll make £300 a throw - awesome! The problem is, even if you get the dealer to do this check as part of the original deal, can you trust a motor that needs a critical adjustment so soon, ie how long before it needs looking at again -in reality rather then the service book?

I've actually ridden one of these, a CBR500 and I have to say its a nice bike to ride, with a surprisingly entertaining performance - I am very disappointed that Honda, the biggest manufacturer of engines on the planet, has left it to new owners to sort out a development problem. No sale Sochiro.

To the poster who reckoned Triumph do the same - I have had 4 Hinckleys and none had a check until 12,000 and none needed adjustment then.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Ooops. Anyone else remember the V-TEC valve adjustment saga of a few years back? That did Honda not too much good, seems they don't learn from their mistakes as regards hidden costs!

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Honda have a history with this sort of thing , as well as the early vf cams the first cx500 had a recall for cam problems.How many 300 quid valve adjustments will they need I would not by one of these bikes until this valve problem is sorted because it could be a bigger issue than we know this is very poor performance by honda.You can buy a five year service contract on a new BMW car for the cost of the first service on this Honda.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

First service

I got my CB500X from Sutton Motorcycles in Tamworth. I was told before I did the deal that the first service was £170. The service was done and the valves were checked. No problem and the next service is due at 8000 miles and will cost £120. The bike is fantastic and I'm getting nearly 80 mpg. Perfect commuter!

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Well anonymous I use to commute on a suzuki gs500 and got similar mpg figures to you,it also hand an oily chain.This Honda has not moved the game on much,by the way anonymous are you a Honda rep by any chance .

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"The service was done and the valves were checked"

I'd wonder about that. I really would.

Reply to this Topic
able2fly

Jul 13

able2fly says:

$700 service bill

I leave in Canada and 4 days after I bought a new CB500X I had to schedule the first service (1000km). Little I knew that is will be charged $712, 10% of the bikes value at my first service. This totally unacceptable as this my 6th motorcycle I owned, out of which 3 were brand new and I never paid more then $200 on my first 1000km service. If u r interested for more details check this link from cbr00riders forum. www.cbr500riders.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/1419-canadian-ripoff-over-700-1000km-first-service.html

Reply to this Topic
bangtidy

Mar 13

bangtidy says:

Yaki

I'm the guy who had my service done PROPERLY for £170. I've been using Sutton Motorcycles for over ten years and my dad has used them since the early 80's. Don't know why my profile has gone anonymous. My user name is bangtidy and I've been registered for ages. Your GS will cost over £700 in servicing up to 16k miles. My CB500 will cost me £460 and its a much better bike to ride.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Servicing is not..

..cheap. At 600 miles my Moto Guzzi Norge was in for its first service, and mind you, those jugs are out in the breeze, and the bill was $400+. If you take pride in your bike then it's just what you need to do. It should be of no surprise if you did your homework prior to purchase. (Yeah right, how many of us look into servicing costs when all ga-ga over that pretty new bike?) Shop around for best shop rate, some of the independents will handle the job and be able to do it for less than the dealers will. The Honda 500's are great bikes at a time when the industry needs them.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle