Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha MT-09: Beyond the hype New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Yamaha MT-09: Beyond the hype

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha MT-09: Beyond the hype

Completely new large capacity bikes are rare in these austere times, and for one to be formed around a brand new engine – which so firmly breaks with the maker’s recent tradition – is even more unusual. But triples are where it’s at right now, and Yamaha has been wise to couple the configuration of the moment with further rider feedback...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 290 days ago (05 July 2013 10:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

im going to get one

I really like the look of the bike, I come from a dirt off road background and the riding position looks ideal for me almost the perfect road bike.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Made for todays needs?

I think not! Pathetic fuel tank, no pillion comforts (grab handles at least! I can't see any in this shot) no luggage and no fairing or screen. Add to that the usual almost non-existent mudguarding for our filth and salt-strewn roads and I don't see anything new here other than the engine. We will have to wait and see how much of an improvement the proposed future faired model will be.

Reply to this Topic
birch466

Apr 11

birch466 says:

lighter?

claiming its lighter and then highlighting the weight difference shows the triumph is lighter. I am still dreaming of a street triple but this new bike looks like a good prospect

Reply to this Topic
rascaltrousers

Dec 12

MT09 Not sure

Having ridden an MT01 and bought an MT03, I have mixed feelijgs about this one. The sales pitch slogan for the MT range was Kodo - the heartbeat. The bike is supposed to stire the heart and I look at this and it doesn't. MT's are supposed to be all about low down torque not big horsepower. My MT03 only makes shy of 50BHP but it is all available instantly at low rev and never fails to put a smile on my face. The MT09 doesn't stir me when I look at it. I wouldn't mind a test ride but I think I'll keep the 03. On public roads, especialliy dales B roads where I like to ride, it will keep up with anything and still give 60mpg. It has a top box rack too.

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Could be a winner

with a fairing,  decent tank capacity and bigger arse end for an extra arse and luggage. I'm waiting for that before I put my money anywhere. This version doesn't tick enough boxes for enough people. Nice toy but my play time is a bit limited to justify a toy. It has to work for me every day not just the odd sunny day. I sense I'm not alone.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

But its...

...not a Triumph.

Don't matter how good (or bad) it is, this MT thingumabob will never compete against the street triple in sales figures until it is [i]significantly[/i] cheaper.

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Had an xs750 years ago with a large tank ,shaft drive,big seat and proper mudguards this bike maybe faster but I would take the xs over this every time.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

tank range +

what's with the silly sized tank...just over 2 gallons to the reserve assuming its the usual 4-5 litres. Gives it about a 100mile range to fill ups for many who always use the light as signal to pull in etc. Anything with that sort of range needs to be very very sporty....this isn't.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

The future looks bleak.......

If this isthe future of motrocycling YAMAHA style then i''m staying well clear.

IF, this is motorcycling harking back to the good ol' days of value over thrills, i.e RD350LC, etc, then i think Yamaha want to go back to the drawing board.

The bike looks hideous (my opinion) and if i had being crazy enough through all the hype to buy this bike, i think opening the garage door and looking at this machine, i certainly would have an instant emotional connection with it.......I'd burst out crying wondering just what state my mind was in when i handed over £7K ?

I personally think bike manufacturers are going too far, too fast, making the buyer BELIEVE, the bike they bought two years ago is out of date and needs replacing. 

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

show

the bike to a younger person and most love the styling and since Yamaha and motorcycling in general are trying to attract more young riders I think this bike should be applauded , yes its not to every ones taste but not all of us are after the big adventure monster or some retro cruiser or track bike, If Yamaha can keep there great reliability with this then I think this bike offers great value , I think it looks better than the street triple and I suspect it will be better build as well as its made in japan not just assembled there , I've had a lot of yammys I have 2 now and come septemper I will be adding another.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle