Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war

Do not adjust your eyes…these two bikes are new Triumph cruisers, not Harley-Davidsons; one of which will be launched shortly as a rival to the Harley-Davidson Road King, the other has been disguised as a Harley Electra-Glide. Look closely and you will see the engine is the parallel-twin from the Triumph Thunderbird in both of these bikes – the engine that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 July 2013 10:33)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Why?

People ride Triumphs for all sorts of reasons but no-one doesn't buy a Triumph because it isn't enough like a Harley... surely!

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Hedge

It's about choice. If you want a Road King, there are currently only 2 real options - a Road King or a Victory Cross Roads. Now, you could have a Road-Trumpet as an alternative option.

This, to me, looks more like the Bandit "FA" or Triumph Sprint "GT"; a bike that comes with a set of optional extras pre-installed to push it towards one market, whilst leaving the original for those who want to take their bike down a different path.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

they went the wrong way

Personally i wanted to see a cut down model, if they were copying the sportster or the 48 i would be excited. I think that's the way the cruiser scene is heading, lighter smaller chopped down cruisers. Most of the harleys i see about are either sportsters or variants of the sportster

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Steady

Custom market is beginning to polarise. High glitz customs are out. Baggers are in. Bobbers are in. Triumph now look to have 3 bagger style models (Rocket 3 Touring, and two of these above); and 3 bobber style (Thunderbird Storm, America and Speedmaster)

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

The new Guzzi California

does it more stylishly imho....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

triumph get a grip

Please stop copying other bike makers, you have taken the piss out of BMW with the tourer, now the lack of creative spirit wants to have a go at Harley, fire your design dept and get a grip, I have bought almost all of the "new " range of Triumphs in the last ten years, you ruined the Sprint ST by making it longer, worse handling and heavier!( who would do that) when it needed more power, less weight and better brakes and a new headlight. You updated the Tiger 1050 2 years too late and not enough< and the Street Tripple and Speed tripple need help, please make a decent modern road bike that isnt a weekend toy.! If you have to copy anyone try Ducati or KTM, they are going forward with light powerful machines that have electronic suspension, adjustable ergonomics, big service intervals,  I cant remember ever seeing one of your BMW tourer clones, do they sell? then again I might have seen 100's but just though it an old wheezing BMW.  Im sorry to say there is nothing in your showrooms to tempt me to buy a new bike, and its shameful.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

plumber01

You have a very valid point...in my opinion....I would only consider the Speed/Street Triples and the ST and Daytona....I don't get this Harley Infatuation....at all.....but obviously some do.

Reply to this Topic
essexboyc

May 05

essexboyc says:

Design your own bike!

Triumph really should stop trying to copy the other manufacturers. The only original bikes that Triumph do are the Bonneville classics and they are copies from the 60's/70's and the Speed Triples which are nearly 20 years old now. The rest of the bikes either look like BMW's (why copy an ugly bike to make your own ugly bike?) or Harleys.

Harley owners will not buy Triumphs that look like Harleys in the same way they won't buy the Japanese versions because owning a Harley is about the whole lifestyle such as the HOGs and the rallies they all do. HOGs are really the only big single make owners group and when they go out there are dozens of them on a ride, you always know when the Harley riders are in town! For that reason they will not switch simply because Triumph make a similar looking and probably better handling bike. The same generally applies to BMW riders as they already think their bike is superior to anything else even if they are right or not.

I've owned 2 Triumphs in the past but now own a Guzzi for the very reason that Triumph have just made copies of ugly bikes I don't like anyway and the Guzzis (like Harleys) are much more individual and stylish and are NOT copies. I'll take that California below every day over the Triumph Harley replicas!

Reply to this Topic
essexboyc

May 05

essexboyc says:

Design your own bike!

Triumph really should stop trying to copy the other manufacturers. The only original bikes that Triumph do are the Bonneville classics and they are copies from the 60's/70's and the Speed Triples which are nearly 20 years old now. The rest of the bikes either look like BMW's (why copy an ugly bike to make your own ugly bike?) or Harleys.

Harley owners will not buy Triumphs that look like Harleys in the same way they won't buy the Japanese versions because owning a Harley is about the whole lifestyle such as the HOGs and the rallies they all do. HOGs are really the only big single make owners group and when they go out there are dozens of them on a ride, you always know when the Harley riders are in town! For that reason they will not switch simply because Triumph make a similar looking and probably better handling bike. The same generally applies to BMW riders as they already think their bike is superior to anything else even if they are right or not.

I've owned 2 Triumphs in the past but now own a Guzzi for the very reason that Triumph have just made copies of ugly bikes I don't like anyway and the Guzzis (like Harleys) are much more individual and stylish and are NOT copies. I'll take that California below every day over the Triumph Harley replicas!

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Yes and no

Agree this, the tiger 1200, new trophy are just pure copies, the speed, street sprints, tigers bonnies daytonas and rocket 3 are all pretty different, all of which are about 5 years old. It's a very worrying trend

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices