Skip to content

Discuss This Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move

Monster Yamaha Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal might be desperate to keep Cal Crutchlow for 2014 but admits the British rider could be seriously tempted to switch to Ducati’s factory squad. Crutchlow has made it clear his ideal scenario for 2014 is to remain in Poncharal’s French-based Tech 3 squad, but on an improved financial and technical package. The former World Supersport...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 286 days ago (05 July 2013 14:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Oh dear..

Old wosi has touched a nerve again.

It seems newbie,  Ander..Andru.. - whatever his name is - owns a Ducati?

Tell you what Pal, and just this once. I'm out an' about in the unmarked white van next week. £200 cash for that rusty old 600 Monster, we'll sling it in the back and you'll be done..no more smirking behind your back from the neighbours or shaking heads from pedestrians.

You can make your excuses - say you've invested the money in the stock market or summats - and buy your missus a new kitchen..well, a new kettle anyway.

There's fck all I can do with those poncy leathers and boots though..you'll have to bin liner 'em up and make a trip to the tip yourself, under cover of darkness is my advice..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bigbashbonanza

Mar 07

Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't...

..... as he's doing so well this year, regularly beating most of the factory guys. But he wants more cash. The life of a professional sports man is pretty small and building up enough cash to carry on living the lifestyle, once he's stopped turning two wheels must be a consideration. But for that cash, he could be swapping podiums for extra dollars. Is it worth it and waiting to see what happens in 2014? The Germans are coming, but will they arrive, strong enough in time for Dovi and the next rider.....? Maybe worth the risk.....

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Wosi rides a piss yellow....

coloured "Long Reach Around" replica GS1150.

Reply to this Topic
Andromico

Jul 13

Andromico says:

Wosihound

Like I said, what a complete tool....

Reply to this Topic
richyfast5

Feb 06

richyfast5 says:

Outspoken Cal.

I am surprised Ducati are chasing Cal. He is quick to publicly slate his Yamaha that is capable of delivering podiums. If he does choose to ride for Ducati, the post race interviews will surely turn into one long beep as BT dub out his expletives about the pig between his legs........  He'll be sacked by mid season!

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Wosi, you're underestimating Crutchlow..

..if you think he'd play second fiddle to Dovi indefinitely. Granted, Cal made some unforced errors last season that to some degree flattered Dovizioso's final championship position. But the boy from the black country is consistently performing better than last season and his points haul is better than Dovi's at the same point last year.. With all the R&D supposedly going on in the depths of Borgo Panigale, this could be the perfect time to pick up the big pay check and be seen as the saviour of the marque. Just think of his stock worth in 2 years time if he turns the company's fortunes around... Imagination people, that's all it takes..

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Success & money..

I can't fault what you say CHR..and have said similar myself.

You can't blame the lad for wanting to feather his nest..like BBB says, a sportsman's career is short.

Cal is still improving in some areas. He's always been fast in practice and last year, generally was faster than Dovi on any other day apart from Sundays.

My point is..if he stayed at Yamaha - and I'm not convinced there is room for him if Pol has been signed - and were to continue the rich vein of form hopefully winning a race..he'd be in a better position than going to Ducati who don't seem to have any ideas other than keeping their present engine - soon to be shackled by a season long engine development freeze.

Audi & Marlboro don't know how to build a GP bike..the inspiration has to come from Corse.

If their plan is to lease 2013 models to teams as non-MSMA bikes with the spec ECU, 24 litres and more importantly 12 engines, in the hope of developing a new powerplant during next season, effectively through 'the back door'..Cal will be stuck with an evolution of what the factory run now.

There will be no new bike next year. The earliest will be 2015..so why not wait, rack up decent results on a competitive satellite prototype and sign another 1 year deal to bring yourself in line with everyone else?

There may be a chance of a Jap factory seat for 2015, which he can challenge for a title on..and if he delivers will extend his career, earn him more money in the long run and give him a better chance of sporting success.

If he won races and cemented his place in British bike racing history, rather than disappearing into obscurity after a likely well paid but fruitless spell at Bologna..he'd be set for life in retirement too as a pundit, speaker, advisor or whatever as a minimum.

A better option than hoping Ducati can build a new bike that is competitive, probably by 2016 at the earliest?

http://motomatters.com/analysis/2013/07/01/ducati_s_non_msma_entry_machines_a_great.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Penfold705

Jul 13

Penfold705 says:

Timing

Cal has left himself in an unfortunate position this year as there would be pretty much a full range of seats to aim for in 2015. If he can get a one year deal with Tech 3 he keeps his options open for Rossi's seat as well as other factories. If he goes elsewhere next year and sits mid-pack or lower on an uncompetitive bike I'm not sure he will have the bargaining power for a factory seat the year after. Ducati would be a massive gamble and if it doesn't work he probably hasn't got the prior reputation to get back out of the mire they way Rossi did, tail between legs or otherwise. On the other hand, if Ducati can get a sniff of a direction this season Cal could come in at the perfect time to bring them back to the front.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

My worry would be injury's, or bad results..

..In theory what you say is perfectly reasonable, but the old adage of strike while the iron is hot seems appropriate in this case. Cal's stock is unquestionably on the rise, but as we've seen with Rossi and more recently Spies, reputation and results can diminish in the blink of an eye. Granted, in Vale's case he has the weight of a lofty career supporting the barren times, so in many way's is unique to the argument. But Spies appears to have nosedived and I would presume can't command the equipment and salary of a few years ago. Cal's got to act now if he wants to be financially rewarded relative to his results. Another year could prove to be fruitless and that would spell disaster for his negotiating position...

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

If Cal

looses the M1 and doesn't get a Honda ride, the Ducati will finish him, his CV is not good enough to stand poor results on that Duke, he's unlikely to take a MotoGP win as it is. He'll also be Ducati's biggest nightmare when it comes to PR and bitching about the bike, which he will do within two or three races. The bike's flawed, that's for sure, and with Cal's flaws and problems still in evidence on the M1,  especially in the opening laps, then going to Ducati will be for the same reason as Dovi, money, being bribed to ride a dog.  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle