Skip to content

Discuss This Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Poncharal: Crutchlow sure to be tempted by Ducati move

Monster Yamaha Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal might be desperate to keep Cal Crutchlow for 2014 but admits the British rider could be seriously tempted to switch to Ducati’s factory squad. Crutchlow has made it clear his ideal scenario for 2014 is to remain in Poncharal’s French-based Tech 3 squad, but on an improved financial and technical package. The former World Supersport...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 July 2013 14:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DoubtingThomas

Apr 13

Imagine if he went there and found he could actually ride it to podiums..

Too much sun all round I think.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

It was tongue in cheek, DT, based upon the line before it.

But you never know, if one rider could do it, why not another

Reply to this Topic
rocketri17

May 12

rocketri17 says:

Ducati

He's be crazy to try that thng

Reply to this Topic
rocketri17

May 12

rocketri17 says:

Rossi on a Repsol nest year

hahahahahahahahaha! What are you smoking!?

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Tongue..in cheek?

..lapping around arse cheeks before taking the plunge, more like.

As a piece of tackle, the present D16 is further away from the competition than it was. You only have to look at Haydens results from 2010 to see that.

For comparison, and using the same tracks they have completed races at this year vs 2010, the American was over 12 seconds a race on average nearer the front then, than he is now.

Giving Hayden back that 12+sec average gap deficit, to put his 2013 Ducati around the same level of competitiveness the 2010 bike was..would have seen Nicky 5th in front of Cal at Losail. Less than a second behind the Brit 6th at Jerez. On the podium in front of Marquez at LeMans and 4th at Mugello 5secs in front of Bradl.

Nicky was battling other Factory prototypes back then. Now he is struggling to beat CRT bikes.

Extrapolating further for a bit of fun, or not as the case may be..haha.

Let's say, being generous, that Casey was half-a-second faster than Nick on the same bike, and the average race is 24 laps. Haydens 2010 results are where Stoner would be finishing today if he were on the GP13.

One 3rd place podium and a 7th final finish in the standings..No better than a certain Italian last year.

Could we expect Cal to do better? No.

Has Nicky Hayden lost 12 secs as a rider? No.

Every single rider who rode the CF bike and the Beam frame has said the new bike is an improvement. If Ducati thought it was a step back and now that Rossi ain't there..they would have junked it, but haven't.

So what conclusions can we draw from wosi's reasonable analysis?

Mmm..probably that brain-dead fucko's who claim Ducati should go back to their old design and tempt Stoner out of retirement in the hope fortunes are reversed, really haven't got a clue and are just namby fanboys.

With the heat wave set to continue and too much sun on people's heads..I can't see the situation improving much in the short term either.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

whereas

this web of speculation/tissue thin fabrication by you is objective analysis by a disinterested observer I suppose wosi.

The bike from 2010 on was a pig by any measure. The 2009 bike in Stoner's hands had no problem with either competitive pace or stability. I can understand that Stoner's health problems made them realise they were entirely dependent on him, and that  particularly given the Marlboro guy's agreement with the very many highly trained psychiatrists and psychologists who apparently inhabited the motogp forums on the internet at that time they decided to go another way. How things would have gone if they hadn't tried to make their radical carbon fibre thing into a Yamaha from 2010 on, ending up with something that as I said previously, like Bob Cunis the NZ bowler was neither one thing nor the other,  we will never know. I suspect Marc Marquez could have ridden the 2009 bike. The Audi guy thinks being able to develop their own tyres to suit the bike might still fix the thing they have now.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Granted doohanfan..

The bike wasn't too bad 2009 and pretty competitive WHEN it was being ridden by Stoner. We'll overlook it was the first year of Bridgestone's control tyre, hardly anyone had any data and the Aussie STILL finished 4th.

Apart from the hilarious warm-up off @ Valencia, the Ducati didn't suffer from much instability..shame we can't say the same about Stoners mind, eh?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

if you have followed the whole ducati saga

they deliberately designed the 2007 bike to be radical because they thought they couldn't beat Rossi on a conventional bike ie a Honda or Yamaha. I suspect they can't build a conventional bike as good as the Yamaha or Honda in the first place, or not with sufficient time to avoid their demise anyway, and if they build one nearly as good they won't be able to beat the likes of Lorenzo, Rossi or Marquez on a Honda or Yamaha. I personally think they were better off having a fast radical bike and jagging wins and the odd competitive season than going conventional and competing with the CRT bikes. The essential thing for the series for me is to abolish the control tyre, or at least make Bridgestone or whoever offer many more options; at the moment the control tyre just makes the strong stronger.

Seeing you seem inclined to indulge in a little badinage, if the Ducati did do Stoner's head in he recovered from it rather more quickly than Valentino did, within about 2 laps on the Honda if I recall rather than a third of a season.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Short & selective memory?

The 2007 bike wasn't a radical departure? Engine size and fuel consideration aside it followed the same mantra as previously.

The 2009 CF bike was the radical step. A bike which both you and Stoner claim had no problems yet, the next year suddenly and again without much change, morphed into an absolute pig..that Hayden apparently did remarkably well on?

Funny how the Americans results improved during and after Stoners self imposed hiatus 2009, isn't it? When he had the chance to try some different ideas and the factory had to listen because Stoner wasn't there?

Makes you wonder how he'd have done on the 2009 bike if he'd had a bit more experience that year, if he did well on the shitpig 2010 iteration, don't it?

Imagine what he could have done on the 2008 bike?..no question he'd have been a contender as WC with his flat-track style on the 2007 with all it's advantages.

I'm not surprised Ducati fans scream about abolishing the control tyres..it's complete poppycock and another attempt to shift blame from Corse design engineers. Forget the fact just about every other credible series, world or domestic, run a spec tyre?..Let's change the rules again and spend shitloads of dosh in the middle of hard times to appease Ducati. Get a tyre manufacturer to do the hard work and let the clueless bozo's party again. 

Nor does it surprise you yearn for the days when only one rider did any good on the bike. Just who do you think is gonna gamble with their career outside of riders looking for a payday?

Bologna could have signed Redding to partner Iannone instead of the lilly livered Spies.

They could have signed brave as they come super quick, superbike wrestler Crutchlow, instead of the steady Dovi.

Neither of which would have made a blind bit of difference. 

As for Stoners head recovering..you sure about that?

Who quit with a bag on, blaming everything else in the prime of his racing life at the age of 27, and dragged his sorry arsed bottom lip home in a wheelbarrow?

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

"Who quit with a bag on, blaming everything else in the prime of his racing life at the age of 27, and dragged his sorry arsed bottom lip home in a wheelbarrow?"

nice to know you've spoken to Casey to clear that up then Wosi.

whats that? you haven't spoken to him or know him,his family, his circumstances or his outlook on life?

you're good at stats Wosi, why not stick to them and leave Casey to spend his millions and settle his debt to his parents and his wife who've shown unwavering support and to enjoy his young family away from prying bitter eyes like yours and the rest of the GP circus, i know i would in his position!!!!!!!!

there's bike racing, then there's bike racing politics and i can see which side you prefer.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices