Skip to content

BMW Used buying guide: BMW GS R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > Used buying guide: BMW GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Jon Urry  says:

Used buying guide: BMW GS

What can be said about BMW’s legendary GS that hasn’t already been extensively documented? As well as being the longest running model in modern motorcycling, the GS has formed the backbone of BMW Motorrad with currently 25% of their sales coming from this machine alone. It is, quite simply, the most successful modern motorcycle on the planet. But it doesn’t stop...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 July 2013 15:46)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

BMW GS.

Having owned a GS1150 GSA and racking up 30,000 miles in two years, without any issues it led me to px for a 2008 new registration and now showing 54,000 miles again without issues. You can safely say the GS is the the ultimate touring machine and the most involving too! Love it!

Reply to this Topic
BeardyBob

Jul 13

BeardyBob says:

1200GS

I bought a 1200gs new in 2005. Problems with the ignition, gearbox and complete failure of the servo braking system. Corrosion on the alternator cover, engine casing and wheels. Sold the bike after ten months. Would never buy another BMW.

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

Very Poor - Corrosion issues

Looked at it myself (nearly new from a dealer) - and the dealer himself told me to stay away from the bike - very poor paintwork and problems with rust on the frame joints typical with the bike.... as this was for a 62 reg model.

Also whenever tried to go into their showrooms - found the staff really self-important, and acting like nothing compared to a BMW.Well what about Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Italian brands -- whcih all have an Adventure style bike -  obviously not forgetting the KTM just released.

And as for servicing - yep BMW cost a fortune for their services and not all of us have the space to do the basics at home.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Appalling

2004 GS 1150 Adventure. Worst bike I have owned. A list of major repairs and crap build quality. Collapsed rear shock, burnt coils, decomposing seat material, the list goes on. Hardly cheap to repair either. MCN does seem to have a rather narrow view of this marque. I don't doubt the ability of this bike but don't believe all the hype.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

And another thing...

The dealer staff refused to believe me when I complained of a lack of power when in for a service, days before both the coils disintergrated. "They all ride like that sir..."

Reply to this Topic
BeardyBob

Jul 13

BeardyBob says:

The motorcycling press are always using terms like 'legendary build quality' about BMW motorcycles. I wonder if they ever view owners forums, listing the numerous and common faults with BMW''s. Compared with any of the Japanese manufacturers the build quality and reliability is an absolute joke. It's about time someone had the balls to tell the truth, although I suppose their more concerned with the revenue they get from the manufacturers than the integrity of their reporting!  

Reply to this Topic
BeardyBob

Jul 13

BeardyBob says:

The motorcycling press are always using terms like 'legendary build quality' about BMW motorcycles. I wonder if they ever view owners forums, listing the numerous and common faults with BMW''s. Compared with any of the Japanese manufacturers the build quality and reliability is an absolute joke. It's about time someone had the balls to tell the truth, although I suppose their more concerned with the revenue they get from the manufacturers than the integrity of their reporting!  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices