Skip to content

Discuss This Rossi and Crutchlow success boosts Silverstone MotoGP sales MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Rossi and Crutchlow success boosts Silverstone MotoGP sales

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Rossi and Crutchlow success boosts Silverstone MotoGP sales

Valentino Rossi’s stunning return to winning ways and Cal Crutchlow’s record-breaking exploits in the recent Assen MotoGP race have triggered a boost in sales for the forthcoming British round at Silverstone. Rossi won for the first time since the Sepang race in October, 2010 with his 80th success in Holland, while Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Crutchlow was third after becoming...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 July 2013 11:53)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Come on people

Rossi fans all dressed head to foot in yellow do no harm to anyone. They`re people just out for a good day of bike racing where hopefully, "their" man will win.

Although I take my hat off to Nostro`s knowledge of the sport, he and Weskit, Bob, and to a lesser extent Pacey Casey all come across as wet blankets. 
Not everyone is as nerdy as the diehards on here. Certainly not me. I just watch it, enjoy it, then get on with something else. 
Respect to Wosi for his sterling support for Rossi over the years, and I`d like to say that I agree with most of his sentiments.....except his opinions on Ducatis obviously, where I think he`s just wrong!! I`ve had 5 and love them.
Without Cal`s success this year and the resurgence of Rossi I think Silverstone would be very sparsely populated. Rossi/Cal haters can say what they like but this can not be argued against and its in the interest of the sport to have good attendances.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

bbb

I have a shovel ;)

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

cheeky

Respect to Wosi for his sterling support for Rossi over the years,

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto bud. I honestly wish many, many more of Vales fans showed the same commitment but the truth is bums on seats and viewing figures show they don't. Facts is facts. When the going got tough the majority of the floozies said 'i'm mowing the lawn this weekend'! I'd love for every round to be packed to the rafters with whatever colour they're waving, who wouldn't!!!! It's a spectacle of the best against the best. Some you win, some you lose. 

You're either a fan or you're not. It really is that simple.  

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Well

I`m not sure thats true Pacey. Rossi`s fans did come out and support him during the Ducati years, right to the end. Win or lose.....well, lose actually!

The "sea of yellow" didn`t actually shrink.Not from what I saw anyway. 

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Ticket sales don't lie and neither do viewing figures. Add to that my own personal experience of my pals who follow Vale, their behaviour confirms the figures......................unfortunately.

Oh well.  

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

OK

I was going on what I saw on the box. Also people I know who watch. 

I haven`t seen or studied the attendances, but if as you say they have indeed dipped when he was at Ducati, then fair enough. 

It doesn`t bode well for the sport post Rossi though if thats true.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CM

Have you forgotten the many comments on here about how Motogp needed Rossi at the front, battling for the lead to regain the viewing figures it had lost. Figures they said, that went down because of Rossi languishing mid-pack with no sign of podiums, let alone wins.

There was also the instance of the Mugello GP when they were leaving in significant numbers long before the end of the race due to him being way off a podium position. The TV commentators mentioned it several times and were openy stunned at the numbers that were leaving. No apparent interest in the other two home riders in the race, one of whom had a chance of actually winning.

So does that make that particular element, and those that are absent from either the track or TV when the chips are down, people who are interested in bike racing or just fanatics who want to associate themselves with a sporting figure who represents success - until that success disappears? When that figure retires do they also disappear or do they latch onto the next success story?

Does that make them enthusiasts who enjoy bike racing at whatever level, or just people who crave status by associating themselves with a sporting superstar

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

there

is no requirement as far as I know to be an "enthusiast" to get into a race circuit. I repeat, these "non-enthusiasts" do harm as far as I can see. 

They bring revenue in, and that is sadly very important these days. 
As for craving status by latching on to a sporting superstar...we`re getting into the realms of psycho analysis here and I`m out of my depth. I try and keep things simple!!

I`m not saying you`re wrong, I`m saying it doesn`t really matter...i.e. what motivates people to attend or even watch on telly. 
Well maybe the marketing guys will be analysing it all, but there`s no need for us to.
Chill.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Bring back Donington

Bring back 500s

Bring back Ashby de la zouch main st

Bring back the campsite mayhem

Bring back 30 quid tickets

Bring back BBBs nanna.

Them days ye didn't need Rossi to fill the race track, there was fun to be had which ever way you turned.

Reply to this Topic
Parkway70

Jun 09

Parkway70 says:

Noddy

I never missed a GP at Donington but always hated the place...was like a morgue at times and in the nineties they were struggling to get 25.000 in the place.Saying that, standing at the old hairpin(and craner) blows anything that Silverstone has into the weeds!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices