You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Warranty uncertainty

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nigepilot

Mar 12

nigepilot says:

Warranty uncertainty

Hi, I recently bought a new bike and have a warranty question as I seem to be playing piggy in the middle at the moment. 

I live in Northern Ireland but bought the bike a week ago in England. The bike is a 2008 model but was brand new unregistered so on a 13 plate. The dealer I bought it from is no longer a dealer of this manufacturer and it was just old stock.
My issue is that the last inch or so of the steering damper has gone rusty, so I went to the Northern Ireland dealer to get a new one sorted under warranty. The NI dealer has said they can't activate the warranty claim because it was not bought from them and I would need to go back to where I bought it from. The dealer in England says that's bull and they can do it. In the meantime he's said to take a picture of it then clean it to see if it clears.
Surely if it is a manufacturers warranty then any approved dealership can activate a warranty claim. Am I just being given the run around because they can't be arsed as I didn't buy it from them or do I need to go back to the original dealer?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 July 2013 13:39)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Warranty

Hi. and welcome to the sight. You are right a warranty should be covered by any main dealer that sells your bike. When i had my bandit there was a recall on it but the shop i brought it from had closed down, but Suzuki sent a list of garages that would carry out the work. You could try cleaning off the rust yourself. If you get no joy try contacting the manufacturers direct and see what they say.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Warranty

This bike has been sitting around since 2008 so it is quite possible, depending on where / how it was stored, that it has picked up some surface rust over the last five years years.  No doubt you got it for a good price and that's probably going to be one of the trade-offs.  Warranties cover manufacturing faults and defects, not rust picked up in storage.  (And I doubt that it left the factory in that condition)   

That said, you may persuade the manufacturer to offer something on a goodwill basis and it would be worth contacting their customer service department.  Bear in mind though, that as a 5-year old model, there is a chance (albeit a small one) that a new steering damper might not be available.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices