Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

msp198

Jul 13

msp198 says:

Help with new bike

Hi guys, 

Had my license a little over a year now and I’m 27. I started with a Ninja 250r to get some experience on the road with a bike as riding up and down fields as a kid is ever so slightly different…

Anyway, it is now time for me to think of upgrading my bike and the choice is massive and I really have no idea what I want to go for. I really like sports bikes for the look and sound and have had a go on a couple and I like them. However, my wife is also keen to come out on what I imagine will only be the occasional day out but could be more.

So, with that in mind, can anyone suggest some good bikes that would be suitable for the following:

Commuting (short motorway stints and journeys into London) I have been told that things like Tigers have the bars too high and not ideal for weaving in and out of traffic

Wind protection as I ride all year round, rain or shine

Comfy(ish) for a pillion – my wife is slim, 5ft 2

This will be my first large capacity road bike so ideally within 600-800cc. I’m not interested in a litre sports bike yet thanks, I would prefer to see my 30th.

Something with a decent top end where the occasional motorway stretch at 120/130 isn’t going to be a struggle.

Thanks guys

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 July 2013 15:57)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Bars

high bars will go over most car mirrors but get thwarted by vans. Clip ons are narrower but often the sporty position can get uncomfortable. Overall I don't think you'll have too much problem with bars on sit up bike.

Dunno how fast they go but the GSX650F might be the one for you.

Reply to this Topic
msp198

Jul 13

msp198 says:

thanks

Thanks for the reply mate. I may consider looking at a tiger in that case. 

Not too sure on the GSXF. I think that visually they just lack something for me. When i see them out and about they never really catch my eye. 

Been thinking of a CBR600F on an 05 or 06 plate. How do they stack up against the GSXF?

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I have a GXS600F

Which would do the job, but a ZZR is better (though no longer available new). Are you looking or new or used? Budget?

CBR600F (either a used one, or the new faired hornet type one) would be a very good bet too. A fazer may be a good compromise between communting/pillion work and sporty nature.

Some of the older sportsbikes might do you to - pre-2000s ZX6Rs, Triumph Daytona 600s or 650s (the 4cyls not the 675 Tripple).

Whilst litre sportsbikes may be more than you're looking for, Honda Firestorms, Aprilia Flacos, Suzuki TL1000Rs or SV1000s may be worth a look too.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Bit more sporty than the bandit

would be SV650S, BMW F800S, Kawasaki ER6-f or Aprilia Shiva...

maybe?

Have fun choosing!! :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices