Skip to content

Ask an Expert PROBLEM - aprilia sx50 leaking coolent onto the piston Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > PROBLEM - aprilia sx50 leaking coolent onto the piston

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joeybates96

Jul 13

joeybates96 says:

PROBLEM - aprilia sx50 leaking coolent onto the piston

my aprilia sx50 recently had a piston change after the old one broke, when i took the piston and barrel off i found that both were in very poor condition and was un-useable. i fitted another barrel and piston with brand new top end gaskets, when i started my bike after i put the coolent in my bike it was leaking straight into the piston and clouds of white smoke come out of the exhaust so i turned the engine off and checked it all over again to check the barrel of fractures and cracks but there isnt any. the piston rings are fine to. i have checked the internet and seen people posting this about their 2 stroke bikes but the only results i found on these websites were people saying gaskets, cracks or O-rings. i neeeed an answer without taking it to a garage because they ask for stupid prices for labour. its really pissin me off:mad:, if you can help please post an idea of what it could be!!
-joey

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 July 2013 13:26)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Coolant leak

It is likely to be the gasket although there are a few guys that post regularly with a lot of mechanical knowledge.  Cue KCMC :biggrin:

The reason that dealers charge 'stupid prices' is because they have the facilities and expertise to fix your bike - which, for some, is preferable to struggling to DIY. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Aprilia SX50 2006

Hi Joeybates96 and welcome to the site:smile

If the bike was not doing this before you done the repair then it is obvious that you have made a mistake rebuilding the top end.Things to check,did you make sure the crankcase was free from coolant?as often when you lift the barrel some coolant will find its way into the crankcase.This can cause two problems,one which is the one you mention which if you're lucky the engine will start and run(usually foul the plug a couple of times) and smoke or steam and smoke white for a period of time,but will clear after a run as the crankcase pressure will have spat some coolant into the exhaust which again will need a lot of heat to eventually steam and dry out.The second can be more sinister,the crankcase pressure is raised because of the contaminated coolant which can blow the barrel base gasket coursing loss in pressure and leaking coolant into the crankcase again.Then again it could just be a blown head gasket,either wrongly fitted?or you say you fitted another barrel?where did that come from?did the bike over heat before you stripped it?if it did it could have a warped head?.This bike has a two piece cylinder head,you need to check both for flat before refitting,especially  the inner part of the head as this is what seats on the barrel with the main head gasket sandwiched between.Also when you get your own place and start paying rent or a mortgage electric bills up keep of the building etc,maybe you won't make such a judgment on the time served mechanics and bike shop owner paying for all this to serve you and do the job properly first time which is often cheaper than several repair attempts to eventually get it right,Just a thought mate:smile Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi joey

Have to agree with KCMCs reasoning's as to the cause of your problem.

You could try using a small syringe fitted with a length of tubing to syphon the crankcase base to see if there is coolant there.

Exhaust can be removed and inverted to drain any coolant if any.

Joey as for your comment about garages and costs, spot on KC.

I remember being stung by other professions for their knowledge so why do people always slag off mechanics as if we are the lowest of the low because we dare to make a living from our knowledge.

Having stated the above I also acknowledge that there are those who rip people off as they are not fully skilled, but at the same time these sorts of rip off artists also operate in most areas of life. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Dealer costs

I think the problem for a lot of punters is that they look at hourly workshop charges and (a) make a direct comparison with their own earnings and (b) assume this reflects the salary of the mechanic - errrr...... sorry, 'technician'.  Of course, this is nonsense as the rate has to take in the cost of premises, business rates, utilities, admin, payroll expenses, training and insurances to name just a few of the overheads.  For those that have never run a business it is difficult to appreciate the level of cost involved. 

However, it does annoy me when anyone just refers to dealer charges as rip-off without any justification.  If you have paid a dealer the going rate to service / repair your bike and they do so to a good standard they you haven't been ripped off.  If you pay good money and the work or service is crap then you have a reason to moan.       

Reply to this Topic
joeybates96

Jul 13

joeybates96 says:

leak

the real reason i dont like garages is because a friend of mine took his 50cc scooter to him because he had a problem with it not starting and the guy only gave it back to him a couple days ago from today and it broke within 5 or 10 minutes?, baring in mind he had the bike well over 4 months. there is not many garages round here that will mess about with 50cc bikes also, i rang a few places and they said they wouldnt touch it. i am going to order a new barrel with piston and me and my stepdad are going to completely strip the bike down and check it all over. no he isnt a mechanic but he has fixed his big bikes like his r6's he has had so im sure we will work it out. thanks for the responses though people, hoping it isnt a major and the engine has not been damaged via the coolent. thanks again:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Joey

If you intend to strip the end right down don't forget to replace all gaskets and seals after all a two stroke engine is basically a pump.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices