Skip to content

Ask an Expert Choosing 1st Bike...thoughts.... Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Choosing 1st Bike...thoughts....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

3gfx

Jul 13

3gfx says:

Choosing 1st Bike...thoughts....

Hello!

First a little history to help you help me (I hope). I'm 27, in Canada did the licenced M2 course but I have to wait another 50ish days for my M2 to be submitted to the ministry.

I've been riding for 12 years on a Yamaha BW200 (many of you may know as the fat cat). It's the original version of the TW200. It's a 1985, that I've done everything with. I've been in sand, on the track, in the bush, over jumps and whoops (not that the bike handled it well) but as full throttle as possible along the way.

At this point I'm finally looking to get a road bike. I don't intend to wheelie or race, I want to tour with the wifey on a strong bike that handles well when I want to toss it into a corner but is also good and comfortable for a passenger, as it's *our* bike and she will learn to drive it as well on occasion. But mainly it will be for both of us to "tour" on.

So I need you to weigh in on a cheap insurance, cheap used cost and COMFORTABLE sport touring bike (yes I know cruisers are more comfy).

If you know of a bike (used under $3000) that is similar to a Yamaha BOLT I would be interested in hearing your opinion but I really like the sport tourers.

I'm looking currently at an 2002 SV650, it looks comfy and has many good reviews. The owner wants $3000 (wife's bike) but I've worked the price down to $2400, having 36000kms.

THOUGHTS???

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE!!!

...Thanks

:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 July 2013 13:30)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Bear

in mind this site has mostly UK residents on so we're not familiar with costs in Canada or any licence restrictions you may have.

That said, the SV650 is an excellent bike and known as a good beginner bike. Pillion comfort is possibly its downside. The other option (it isn't quite as cheap) is a GSX650F (I seem to recommend this one to bloody everyone). It should satisfy the pillion demand and is generally an under rated machine. It's often described as a faired bandit (which is it) but critically the suspension is different and also the addition of a fairing makes a lot of difference to how a motorcycle handles due to the effect on the aerodynamics and massively increases its potential for more serious touring. It also has a large tank with a very acceptable range. The extra weight leads to a plusher ride than you'd get from the SV and there is a little extra power to offset it. The engine is different as it's an inline 4 and is praised for its low end. The large rev range means it's easy to keep gear changing to a minimum to avoid headbanging from your pillion. The extra power will also help in lugging around a pillion and luggage.

Insurance isn't bad on them (in the UK anyway), they're cheap to buy, should be comfortable although if not you can modify (or maybe even replace) the seat and it most definitely lands in the sport touring category. The addition of normal handlebars rather than clip ons is a bonus as it's easier to add on things like a sat nav and in my view makes it handle better on real roads at lower speeds.

If you decide you want to take in a track day, it should cope reasonably.

They are often described as the "poor man's VFR" which I think is quite a compliment. Suzukis do often have issues with corrosion so if you live near the sea of if your roads are treated with salt then you might need to invest in some anti corrosion spray and wash it after salty rides. I'd also recommend treating the whole exhaust fairly regularly with some cheap, thin oil, consider painting it with high temperature paint (especially the downpipes) and look at a fender extended for the front.

EDITED to add in a missing "t" and downpipes bit.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices