Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

digger65

Jul 13

digger65 says:

80's xt250 electrical issues

hi all

after around 30 mins of riding i am getting miss fires and popping/backfiring and it will eventually die and refuse to start for a while

i have ordered a new coil this morning and have changed the plug. the last was very chalky at the ceramic and crumbled to the touch so i thought i had solved the issue but it started doing it on the ride home and wouldn't start this morning..

apart from the plug, ignition coil and wiring i wonder where else i should look?

it feels electrical rather than fuel as the stutters are sudden and it cuts in and out very quickly

any pointers greatly appreciated as it is my only commuter at the moment

thanks in adv

JJ

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 July 2013 10:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XT 250 year?

Hi Digger65 and welcome to the site:smile

Need more info really:huh:

Well with a bike of this age you must understand there could be so many things that could be going wrong so it could be something simple or something not so simple to track down.You say its a 80's bike can't you be more specific?so it will have a kick start,and electric start,is the electric start working ok?.When was it last serviced ?by you or a shop?when was the valve clearances last done?have you checked the carb float bowl for water and or debris? have you tried anything else yourself? like cleaning earths to the battery and engine?What spark plug was fitted?and what plug have you fitted now(should be a DR7EA )have you checked the fuel tank breather is clear?Lets know how things go with the new coil before trying anything could just be that?.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

spark plug

check on a sparkplug condition guide and ash /chalky electrode can be caused by excessive oil in the combustion chamber or poor oil / fuel .hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
digger65

Jul 13

digger65 says:

80's xt250 electrical issues

thanks
understood
i have a few hours tomorrow a.m so will try to investigate further
i replaced the plug for what was in there  BP7ES
i guess the fact it runs fine for half an hour before missing might be the clue ?
it is a kick start 6V & 83 i think and to further complicate issues just that bit further looks like the last owner wired the lights  which are very dim and the battery doesn't seem to charge
will update as soon as i get a chance
JJ

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices