Skip to content

Ask an Expert Bike on Fire! Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Bike on Fire!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

XELA

Mar 04

XELA says:

Bike on Fire!

HELP PLEASE! I had just gone to get petrol before a ride out last sunny sunday and on arrival I got off my '91 Honda VFR400 NC30 then nodded to attendant through the window. At this moment I noticed a puff of smoke.. Looked over to see a little melted hole and a flame!, Run around for closer look and YES it was on FIRE! so I quickly put it out with the water nearby to shocked look of the attendant and I push it away from the pumps. After pushing it home for closer inspection it turns out to be melted wires&connectors. Last work done on the bike concerning electrics was almost a year ago when a shop installed my alarm, Could this have been an added cause as I understand my bike is 23 years old but surely wires shouldn't be setting on FIRE!!, It could've been a different story had I started to fuel up!. What would you reccomend I could/should do??

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 July 2013 19:52)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Electrical fires

may or may not be related to the alarm work (I would think it unlikely myself, alarms tend to be low power to save the battery anyhow, plus if you've been riding shortly before, I would've thought it'd be disarmed anyhow).

IMO what's probably more likely is degradation of your electrical systems (corrosion increasing loading, breakages causing intermittent connections and arcing, possibly fuses of the with too high a rating somewhere to give a few examples).

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Fire!

You get similar damage when the connection between the alternator and the reg/rec becomes corroded and dirty, leading to high resistance and therefore heat. I think this is on the wrong side though.

The middle connector on the left side of the metal bracket appears to be the culprit and the heat has damaged the one above. Trace it back to its component and test that. To repair you'll need to cut back to undamaged wire and make good connections again. Try EasternBeaver.com for vehicle-spec connectors.

Phil, my R1 became immobilised after a ride on Wednesday evening. I had set the alarm (a 10 year old Meta 357T) and all four indicators glowed constantly. When I turned the ignition back on to investigate, smoke puffed out from under the seat and the 12V supply melted the alarm connection before the 10A alarm fuse blew. I've bought a like-for-like replacement alarm (just plug in and go, in theory) but I need to make the connector good again. I'm just saying alarms can make smoke! It was pretty scary at the time, though not as scary as XELA's incident, I'd imagine!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices