Skip to content

Ask an Expert Implications of changing tyre size Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Implications of changing tyre size

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

howiedb

Oct 06

howiedb says:

Implications of changing tyre size

I have a 1992 GSX750F (standard OEM wheels fitted)and need to replace the tyres.

The OEM  recommended tyre sizes are 110/80 R17 front, 150/70 R17. However there seems to b a very limited choice of 110/80 R17 front tyres available.

The closest alternative sizes available are 110/70 or 120/70, both of which reduce the tyre circumference (the 120/70 by the least amount). Would it be possible to fit the wider 120/70 to the existing rim? Which of these sizes would be the best alternative? Is a change in tyre size something I would need to inform my insurance company of?

Grateful for any advice.

Howard

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 365 days ago (12 July 2013 06:52)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

front tyre

Have a look at this site, should give you what you need to know.  

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

Any change in tyre size will have an impact on the way that the bike feels and handles.  The insurance issue is a grey area.  I would imagine that most underwriters would not be happy about a machine wearing anything other than recommended types and sizes but in the event of a claim, although they might make thing difficult, they would have to prove that the tyres were a contributory factor if they wanted to reject/reduce a claim on that basis.   

Reply to this Topic
howiedb

Oct 06

howiedb says:

Tyre Size GSX750F

Thanks fogie. Bridgestone list the 110/70 as the front tyre size for my bike so I guess that's the best one to go for.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to this Topic
howiedb

Oct 06

howiedb says:

Tyre Size GSX750F

Thanks for the reply Marcus.  Bridgestone only list the 110/70 as the size for my bike so hopefully if I fit that size there will not be an issue with insurance.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices