Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tapping problem? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Tapping problem?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zico

Jul 13

zico says:

Tapping problem?

Hi I am new to riding and have a Suzuki address fl 125 2008 1100 miles. The bike is in excellent condition and starts stops and rides fine. I did own another address but this got stolen. I have noticed with my new bike that when it gets warm about 5 miles into a 20 mile commute a tapping (not knocking) sound starts from the front of the engine in each gear at all speeds. This doesn't alter the performance of the bike i.e no loss of power or jerking. Can anyone help i have searched the net trying to find a similar fault but have been unsuccessfull. Any advise or help would be appriciated thank you in advance John.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 July 2013 10:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki 125 Address 2008

Hi Zico and welcome to the site:smile

This is probably just a slight tappet rattle?as the engine gets hot and the oil gets thinner the oil gap gets slightly bigger with heat expansion changes tolerances,either that or for some reason the fuel injector gets a bit noisier when it gets hot?but probably not Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

P.S. little engines with very small amounts of engine oil need regular oil changes to prevent high wear and ultimately failure.When was the oil last changed ? 

Reply to this Topic
zico

Jul 13

zico says:

Tapping Problem

Hi KCMC,
Thanks for the reply the bike had an oil change on 450 miles and i have changed the oil on 1000 miles. I am quite competent in car mechanics but only have the user manual for the Suzuki and cannot find a haynes manual for this model. Would you suggest a tappet adjustment? If so do you know where i could get the information from to perform this? Many thanks for the reply and information.
:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices