Skip to content

YAMAHA Staff Blog: To Flash or Not to Flash? FAZER 8

You are in... Forums > YAMAHA > FAZER 8 > Staff Blog: To Flash or Not to Flash?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Alison Silcox  says:

Staff Blog: To Flash or Not to Flash?

My hubby and I were riding through the rolling Leicestershire countryside towards Rutland Water on a recent Sunday morning ride when we were flashed twice by oncoming cars but not at all by the oncoming bikes. Being cautious we slowed to just under the speed limit and after about half a mile came upon a sneaky camera van tucked on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 July 2013 08:25)

Post a message in FAZER 8

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

I'm a flasher

Personally I'd flash. Providing there was no chance that the cops could see me do it. If they could, you might be prosecuted for obstructing justice or preventing the police in the course of their duty or whatever..

Reply to this Topic
garethpn

Dec 12

garethpn says:

Neath

Someone in Neath flashed an unmarked police car to warn them of a speed trap, the police promptly turned around and pulled them over...

Reply to this Topic
phantombiker

Jul 13

phantombiker says:

I would always flash.

I'm very pro police but sneaky tricks like this just cause annoyance. If I tell an oncoming copper that I pressed the flasher by mistake because I was intending to indicate a turn how can he prove different?

If they put one tenth of the effort they expend harassing motorists into fighting real crime we'd be able to walk the streets at night. And why is it always zero tolerance for motorists? Three points and sixty quid the first time they catch you.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Flashing

We should ALL flash. I have noticed that people tend not to warn you these days. I will always flash someone who looks like they are going too quick, a bike or a lorry.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Which flash?

Trouble is that while some people flash to warn of a camera van, I've also had grumpy old twats flash me and found that there is no camera. Presumably the old nimby feels I'm speeding or behaving recklessly or just generally having too much fun doing something that he could neither achieve nor imagine with his limited scope. As a result its hard to know which flashes to take notice of sometimes.

But I always warn others where and when possible. That also includes things like obstructions in the road or slow moving vehicles, horses etc.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
likesitfast

Sep 11

likesitfast says:

FLASH!

Always flash, just don't get caught doing it! Do it for all road users, I've been saved many a time by kind, like minded people. North Yorkshire is getting silly though. The police really are making a point of getting their speed camera vans (all 4 of them) to as many locations as they can. Slightly annoying but when we lost 2 bikers at the weekend you kinda can't blame them.

Reply to this Topic
Vortex52

Oct 09

Vortex52 says:

Flash!

I always do, actualy I just did last saturday in Surrey On  the A245

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I believe that this was tested

in court some time ago. The judge decided that as the "Safety Camera" was located at a known hazard, as defined by the Safety Camera Partnership, the motorists were simply warning other motorists of the "hazard" that they were approaching. Flashing of headlights is an accepted means of doing so, as outlined in the Highway Code. Therefore, the authorities were effectively hoisted on their own petards, so to speak.

I could be completely wrong about this, but that is my recollection of the story.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

As I understand it, flashing to warn of a speed camera has a very tightly defined legal boundary. Since it's at the site of a known hazard and can be interpreted at warning of that hazard, it is legal. However, flashing or signalling to other motorists to warn of the police up ahead with a speed camera, say, is illegal and can be classed as impeding the police in the execution of their duty. This is a criminal rather than a traffic offence. I got roundly told off by a (actually very reasonable) policeman for doing that exact same thing a few years ago who said that the reason he wasn't charging me was that I'd apologized as soon as he explained the law to me. It probably helped that I was friendly and respectful throughout the conversation.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I'll always

try to flash. Yes I know that it can be interpreted as impeding an officer from his duty to entrap and lift the trouser leg of motorists but (my view is that you are merely encouraging other road users to adhere to the local speed limit)... I will, though, have a quick check in the mirror to ensure the car behind me doesn't have 2 sets of rear view mirrors.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices