Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dj233

Dec 12

dj233 says:

Ear Plugs

Hi,

I know...."it's a very personal thing", but after almost a year, I'm still trying to find the best ear plugs to reduce wind noice. I can't stand the wind noise, I've upgraded the screen on my VFR, neck snoods in hot weather, masking air vents on the lid, I've done the lot. In my last attempt, I was going to splash out on some of those bespoke made ear plugs, squidgy things or some thing, has anyone found them to be the optimum solution that works for them? At about £80 a go, I don't want to waste any more money on experimenting. Cheers All.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 July 2013 15:47)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

I've got the Auritech

and the Alpine hearing protection motosafe earplugs, after many attempts with foam ones and some custom moulded ones I made from R & G Putty designed for the job.

The Motosafe are the best for me and cost 19.95, as did the Auritech. You can also get a helmet skirt which attaches round the bottom of your lid which is intended to reduce wind noise.

Think the Motosafe were from Bykebitz, Auritech from Auritech. Good luck

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Ear plugs

After years of using foam plugs I recently had a pair of filtered plugs made for me by Ultimate Ear.  The are very effective and extremely comfortable.  Highly recommended.

http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcyclist.php

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

I've used

Disposeable foam ones for many years,

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-protection/earplugs

My first box of 200 pairs has lasted nearly 10 years (being a tight-fisted Yorkshireman means I used them more than once each!:winkie: ) 

Need to get another box now so in my lifetime I still won't have spent as much as it costs to get a bespoke pair fitted.

Realise these type don't suit everyone, think they do a "variety pack" so you can try to find the best type for you.

As a general rule check out the S.N.R. value (Specific Noise Reduction or summat like that!) the higher the better  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
dj233

Dec 12

dj233 says:

ear plugs

Thanks all, sound advice. 

d j

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ear plugs

I use laserlite ear plugs. Cheap and disposable.

I did have some custom made plugs from hearingresolutions. They were very oncomfy and not as quiet as the foam ones above. It took a lot of time and hard work to get my money back.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Motosafe

Custom moulds seem to seal too well for my liking, pumping pressure in my ears when I move my head around.  They seem to take 20 minutes to bed in so not great for half hour rides.

Disposable foam works better, but I'm not organised enough.

On the other hand I always know the Alpine Motosafe are in my pocket and ready to use.  Comfy and just right attenuation for road use.

A £15 pair lasts a couple of years of daily use, and you can extend that by just replacing the white silicone double flanges off fleabay, around £8 for 3 pairs.

The case lasts years too, and all it needs is diligence or a ski-pass elastic to make sure you don't lose it (again)...

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

dj233

In 40 plus years of riding with and without crash helmet I have never used ear plugs. My hearing loss is comparable to someone who has never been in a high noise environment.

I also worked in engine research and development industry for many years so again another high noise environment which meant regular hearing tests, all passed with good results.

Reply to this Topic
Mike P

Aug 08

Mike P says:

Ear plugs

After having custom molded plugs made at the B'ham show a couple of years back, I have gone back to the basic foam disposable plugs. More comfortable and effective in my view, loads cheaper too!

Reply to this Topic
darrencolons

Jul 14

darrencolons says:

Best motorcycle earplugs

You should try specially recommended motorcycle earplugs. They are just awesome and having all the features you want. You can buy it online also.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices