You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Damage liability in car park

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

redcatchris

Oct 10

redcatchris says:

Damage liability in car park

I was parked legally in a hotel car park during a conference yesterday when the side stand of my bike sunk into a repaired section of tarmac which had gone soft due to the heat. It hit the car next to it, causing £500+ of damage to the car in addition to damaging my fairing and snapping my mirror.

My questions:

1. Who is liable for the damage to the car? Is it definitely me? In which case, am I best just to pay up? I am insured TPFT.

2. Who is liable for the damage to my bike? I suspect the answer could be nobody, but do I have any claim against the hotel?

3. The hotel has a typical 'no liability for loss or damage' sign. Is this valid?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 July 2013 12:23)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As far as I can make out:

1 - your bike hit the car, thus you would be liable for it. Whether you want it to go through insurance, or whether you want to settle directly (assuming you can afford it) is your decision.

2 - As far as I can see, nobody is liable for the damage to your bike, and I would hazard a guess that any claim against the hotel would fail (the heat is a nationwide phenomenon, and not just isolated to the hotel grounds), unless you could prove the repaired section was sub-standard.

3 - the sign will be a "contractual" thing rather than legal (to hold the hotel harmless in these events), and probably demanded by the hotel's liability insurers. (Look at it another way - if a couple of scrotes were to break into a car in the hotel's car park, is it really fair for the hotel or it's insurers to pick up the tab for them?).

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

If the repair was substandard..

..won't the hotel be liable for 1. and 2. irrespective of 3?

Did the rest of the parking surface soften, or just the repaired bit?  Did you take photos of the hole that swallowed the side-stand?

Reply to this Topic
redcatchris

Oct 10

redcatchris says:

Interesting

Just the repaired section sunk: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4teoobbub7BMXBDQk1CWGxrVXM/edit?usp=sharing

Other bikes parked (including my colleague's brand new Guzzi) were unaffected

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Nice hole..

Personally I don't think you should be out of pocket, that's what the hotel's public liability insurance is for.  Do you have legal cover as well as TPFT, would they help recover your losses too?

Time for a professional legal eagle to comment please..

Reply to this Topic
redcatchris

Oct 10

redcatchris says:

I agree!

Don't think I have legal cover. Not sure whether to inform my insurance company or just stump up. I'd love a legal eagle to give their opinion :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Bump!

Real expert care to comment?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle