Skip to content

Ask an Expert Post test training? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Post test training?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dblizz

Jul 13

Dblizz says:

Post test training?

I'd be grateful for thoughts on post test training / skills development.  I passed mod 2 in May and expect to be a weekend rider with the odd commute.  I've bought a Honda CBF 600 SA and have been driving for 20 odd years.  My ideas were BikeSafe or the DVLA Enhanced Rider Scheme.  Other suggestions made to me are:

Ride 10,000 miles then think about it; and
California race school.

Grateful for thoughts on these or other ideas.

Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 277 days ago (16 July 2013 22:05)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Bikesafe is fun

and cheap.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Training

Do Bikesafe first.

Then consider either the IAM or RoSPA. They aren't cheap, but are very good..

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Don't limit yourself

To just one option. CSS will teach you a HUGE amount about machine control.... expensive at 400 quid a day, but you will have brilliant day and your confidence will soar. Then you can do either RoSPA, ERS or I AM to gain extra knowledge about road based awareness. If you complete these 2 types of courses that will be the equivalent of riding 10000 miles and gaining knowledge by experience of mistakes, near misses and possibly accidents..... :blink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

You don't say where you are.

If you're near Oxfordshire or Kent you will find this a good place to look at. www.survivalskills.co.uk

Lots of courses aimed at lots of levels. The basic bends course will teach you a huge amount in a very short time. One to one training, or cheaper if two go along together. Brilliant guy running it, who will make an individual course for you if none of his standard ones are just right. Evenings and weekends as well.

By the way, we are not related. I am just a very happy customer.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

IAM ROSPA

I think they're dirt cheap for what you get compared to the cost of standard training.

£120ish for a full mornings training every sunday for a year. It cost me £70 for each lesson for DSA test training. 

EDIT: The enhanced rider scheme is an expensive way of doing things and I'd go for the IAM or ROSPA myself. Bikesafe days are good so I hear but I've never been on one.

If you want to see what advanced riding is all about then get yourself a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft - reading and applying this will make you a better road rider. A lot of it will be obvious to you, but some of it will make you think differently and ride better. It also help you link up and consciously apply seemingly obvious things which you may not have been thinking about before.

Another good source is Roadcraft Nottingham on Youtube - he has some good videos on advanced riding that will give you an idea.

As for whether advanced training will help you - the best upgrade for your bike is to improve the ability of the rider. Whilst you might have problems with some up their own arse people in the IAM or similar you will be in no doubt that there are some cracking riders in there and they are well worth listening to.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

BikeSafe, track days, BikeSafe, RoSPA

BikeSafe is often free or very cheap, subsidised by local authorities etc.  A good start.

RoSPA is pretty cheap, you're only reimbursing the tutor's fuel, at least in my local group, plus annual membership.  Aspiring for a higher Silver/Gold pass may hold your attention for longer.  I suppose it depends if there's a good group in your area.

In my opinion IAM's "Skill for Life" is a misnomer - regular retests are the only way to be sure you're still progressing and that you're not redeveloping bad habits.  Training for a one time test must be better than nothing, but the IAM course seems more expensive and less flexible.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle