You are in... Forums > General > General > The right gear

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philwill65

Mar 11

philwill65 says:

The right gear

I use my bike every day for work, and weekends for rideouts etc. I am totally a sensible person and don't take risks. However, with this heat that we are enjoying, I have been going home from work in just a t-shirt although I resist the urge to wear shorts so I wear jeans.

I even put my gloves in my back pack. It's just too hot.
Am I being totally stupid or do any of you lot out there agree that it's a choice that I'm free to make? Trouble is, it feels wrong!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 277 days ago (17 July 2013 11:58)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Hot

There are plenty of people on here that will tell you you are risking total skin loss and irresponsibly burdening the NHS with your reckless behaviour...

I'm not one of them:smile  There's not many better sensations than bimbling along at 30mph in a t-shirt on very hot days. It's one of the things that first attracted me to bikes and yes...i'll even pop up the local shop in shorts :shock:. You can travel at 30mph on a bicycle and nobody would expect you to be wearing leathers etc. Just ride more conservatively..which i find comes naturally with less protection. 

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

I'm with you

Even in the hottest weather, I do wear gloves, as I find not wearing them very alien.  That said, when it's very hot, I wear neoprene cycling gloves.

Of course it is your choice.  You know what will happen if it all goes pear shaped, so you need to be ultra careful. 
Also, bear in mind the drivers are even more distracted than usual in the heat, so they probably are out to kill you.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

phil

'feels wrong' ?

Feels great more like ...I rode out to the pub in just jeans and T-shirt the other evening and it felt great! :smile... I personally don't see the problem if you are just pootling about town, going to the shops or pub etc. and not getting above 40 mph ...as others have mentioned, you could be on a bicycle doing virtually the same speeds ....

However ...once out of town and riding over 50 + I would wear protection ... That's just my opinion ...at the end of the day it's your skin and your choice. :winkie:  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

off

It is nice to wear jeans n to shirt (as most HD riders seem to around here in this heat..) however, I came off in Jan and was totally saved from any horrific injuries due to the fact I had leathers on and my over trousers with winter jacket over the top..warm, yes, uncomy, yes, did it save me..hell yeah! (i came off at a drop speed of about 20-30mph)  Shall be in full leathers later for bike night as I use local back lanes rather than main main commuting roads..

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

Gear

Bought a mesh jacket (armoured,) kevlar jeans and summer gloves. The mesh jacket lets air flow around your body, it literally feels like I'm just wearing a t-shirt. Works for me!:biggrin:

Your choice but I'd rather have minimal protection than none at all.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Sometimes I ride in a

Red Torpedo t-shirt, Lindstrands jeans, Sidi boots and Alpinestars Octane's and I feel naked............but I do find a Monster hoody sorts them wheelies out tho :winkie::biggrin:

Do we get paid if we post product placement type inserts things when we post?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I think

that you should wear kit simply because the effects of road rash are fucking crippling and agonising and disfiguring. You slide down the road for two seconds... that could be an inch of tissue gone. I don't say skin, because it'll be grinding at bones having gone through muscle by that point.

If you can't take the heat of riding in proper kit, I'd not ride. Obviously it's up to you, but whilst the risks of an off are low, the consequences are god awful.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I wear

armoured leather jacket and kevlar jeans as a minimum. To me it's just not worth the risk....

...i manage to keep cool by travelling everywhere at 120-140.....

...after all, you can't be too careful

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

And

just in case preunit's on the money......

.....they're Draggin Jeans

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

...i manage to keep cool by travelling everywhere at 120-140.....

:lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle