Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MajorN

Jul 13

MajorN says:

CBF 600 problems

Hola,

I own a 2009 CBF600SA (fared, ABS). I've had it since new and have clocked up >50k miles. Recently, its started losing power while going down the road, then picking up again. From the way the dash lights up (HISS and ABS lights come on for a few secs, then go off again) its like I turned the key off and on again, like it reset..

this morning, I turned the key after stopping normally for a few minutes and... nothing. No fuel pump, no dash, no headlights... nothing. It was like the thing was compeltely dead. After 5 minutes or so, it suddenly came back to life, and I continued my journey normally.

I suspect an electrical short or similar problem, since it seems to be forgetting that the key is in there. Maybe a problem with the immobilizer or chipped key system. A colleague has suggested it might be the ECU, but wouldn't I at least get ehadlights if that was going?

I have recently changed the exhaust, which had a new lambda sensor in it; could this be the cause? It does plug into the electrical system, and as a can from the breakers, the clip into the electrics system, had been damaged when it was originally removed, so is it possible this is jiggling loose and causing my problems?

I'm not a very mechanically skilled person, although I do tery to get my hands dirty. Any assistance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 July 2013 10:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBF 600SA 2009

Hi MajorN and welcome to the site:tongue:

Sounds at the moment nothing more sinister than a loose battery terminal?(check the battery wires are tight)or the main live at the starter relay?or main earth?or main starter motor live?or starter relay main fuss.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

good mileage

Congrats on doing some proper mileage on a bike.

It could be a worn ignition barrel or contacts

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Ignition barrel

I'd go with dirty or worn contacts in the ignition barrel too. I had similar symptoms on my z750 when it got to about 90k, stripped and cleaned the barrel contacts and now we're at 130k and going strong :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
MajorN

Jul 13

MajorN says:

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have no idea where to start stripping the barrel, is it possible to jsut spray the cleaner into there and wiggle the key about a bit?

I'm planning on going throught he wiring this weekend to try to pinpoint the loose connection. Hopefully it should be somehting i can relatively easily solve myswelf with the investment of some time, and save a large garage bill!

R

Reply to this Topic
irishrider2013

Jul 13

HOnda CBF Problems

Hi, See my earlier post on starting problems with my 2008 CBF 600sa. Mine began with throttle problems and eventually would not start at all. It has now been with my Honda dealer for two weeks and they have yet to sort out the problem. They drained the tank and put new spark plugs in the bike, they Honda said it was the Cam shaft pulse generator but that hasn't solved the problem either, waiting on more ideas from Honda now. Hope your problem is sorted easier than mine but will be keen to hear how you get on. Good Luck Debbie

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Kill switch

Les Jones, a reader, bunged an email to me which might be of use...

"I have a CBF 500 and CBF 600, both with similar faults. stripped all ignition system down and cleaned, and discovered that due to lack of use the engine stop switch (Kill switch) gets damp in and over time corrodes up, WD 40 sprayed into the unit and operate the kill switch a few times to clean contact and both bikes have been perfect with no after effects , even though I am only on 30.000 miles.
                                      Hoping this is helpful.
                                                                   Les Jones"

Reply to this Topic
hollies50

Sep 13

hollies50 says:

starting

R, it could be your alternator. Mine burnt out coming back from the ulster GP. The engine started to stutter then the electricks packed up and I came to a suudden halt! To cut a long story short I contacted my local dealer and they told me that a batch of chinese made alternators were faulty and causing the above problem. They replaced it free of charge via honda. contact your local dealer with your reg, frame and engine No and yours may be one of the faulty ones. if so it should be replaced free of charge.

PS whilst on the trip I knew something was amiss 'cos the  inside of my left leg was burning with the heat of the alternator burning itself out  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices