General Thank Fcuk For That General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Thank Fcuk For That

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Mickly

Dec 02

Mickly says:

Thank Fcuk For That

Following a 580 mile round trip to the south coast & Cornwall ( over 2 days) I rolled the mighty Trip3 into the garage and heard a loud clicking noise coming from the gearbox area, there then followed a week of fretting, visualising broken gearbox bits, knackerd chain / sprocket etc.

It was with a heavy heart that I finally rolled it out of the shed ready to perform major surgery.....first step - remove gearbox sprocket cover to reveal a couple of large road chippings held in by copious chain lube residue, cleaned it out & RESULT, clicking has disappeared!! What a relief. So how often does anyone here look behind their sprocket cover and remove the grinding paste?
Mickly

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 July 2013 11:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Mickly

When I last had a chain drive I would check weekly and if I had ridden over a 'redressed section of road I would check before putting the bike to bed.

A bit OCD maybe but I never replaced a chain and sprocket set on one of my bikes for what ever reason..

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Grinding paste.

I switched from chain wax to chain lube when I saw the mass of accumulated goo and stones behind the sprocket cover on my old XJR400. They're both aerosols but my lube I mean the runny, oily stuff. However, the lube was still gooey and I've only recently switched to brushing 90w gear oil on, which seems to do the trick with much less mess. I tend to apply less these days too, whereas in the past I would cake it on thinking I was doing right.

Good news, Mickly!

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Often

Well, Mr B has to check for me, often. We had our lane done with tar and gravel last June and it's still there. The council claim it can't still be loose on the surface after a year as the traffice beds it all in.

We don't have traffic. Only an occasional tractor or tourists on bicycles. The belly pan is always full of the stuff, all the paint has gone underneath and it still gets in everywhere. Even, somehow, into my boots. And we're still skidding on it, although I'm getting good at riding on loose surfaces.

Could have had a fancy gravel drive if I'd bothered to scoop it all up and move it myself :upset:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices