Skip to content

Discuss This Exclusive: Casey Stoner to test factory Honda in Japan MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Exclusive: Casey Stoner to test factory Honda in Japan

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Exclusive: Casey Stoner to test factory Honda in Japan

Double world champion Casey Stoner will make a dramatic return to MotoGP action next month when he tests a factory Honda RC213V at the Twin Ring Motegi track in Japan, MCN can reveal. The outspoken but blindingly fast Australian, who retired from MotoGP immediately after the final race of 2012 in Valencia last November, will take part in a two-day test...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 July 2013 15:00)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Hey Bob the unpronouncable Buttersmythingsangry - we all read it mate - this is called unfounded speculative banter - glad you're joining in.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Someone's missing

Oh dear,stoner is a wanted man,deal with it.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

i think you will find SM

that the vote by the riders on the tyres in 2012 was after Stoner had announced his retirement. He actually said nothing except that the riders had voted for the wrong tyre at the time; some of them would now seem to agree with him. I don't deny that he has made revisionist statements concerning the matter since that time, as is sometimes his wont.

I actually agree Wosi that if he was to come back he should say it is because he missed racing, and that his previous decision may have been a mite hasty. The situation has changed to an extent anyway, with the continuance of independent manufacturers (for good or ill) employing the riders outside of Dorna's entire control; one thing I don't think Stoner would contemplate is working directly for Uncle Carmelo. No doubt as I have said from the get-go that ersatz -Nascar Australian V8 supercar racing is not something to be confused with real motor racing, and demeaning for a GP bike racing champion to compete in even if he won.

I do remember the latter years of Spencer's career, although I think he was afflicted with armpump which was a not well recognised physical rather than mental ailment at the time, plus didn't have much left after the astounding feat of winning the 250 and 500 titles in the same year in what was relatively the modern era. 

I can't see Stoner doing a Spencer, he would make sure he was competitive in testing before contemplating a return and wouldn't hang around for the joy of competing or whatever without a winning chance. This is all probably moot anyway, as I understand the usual HRC test rider being hors de combat may be the reason Honda have approached him.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I

would have taken up the role of test rider if asked but I am sane.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Casey the great

Lets be honest mm is fast but your only as fast as your machine Will let you,it was stoners old rcv settings and bike setup mm started testing with so when stoner moved to Honda he said "everything is easier on the Honda" no suprise they want to develop future prototypes as he brought the. Something dani never did.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

I'd be amazed if Stoner ended up turning around saying I want to return. But the main problem is who will have him Honda no as they have Pedrosa and Marquez maybe Ducati but I doubt Casey would want to ride for them again.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I agree with you Yamaha GYTR

that Stoner is quite unlikely to return, but if Dani doesn't win this year it is not impossible that either he will give up or Honda will give up on him, however unfortunate he has been with injuries since it looks as though that fortune won't change, and Honda have said they don't really want 2 Spanish riders.

They are also not sentimental about or necessarily loyal to riders, and probably one rider winning a championship is as good as another to them, they wouldn't imo necessarily see MM winning multiple titles as any better than winning multiple titles with multiple riders. Repsol's attitude may be different of course.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Don't get excited.....

Stoner tests a GP bike! So what, lucky bastard, or respected genius? ***** I say lucky bastard. Honda want information, ie: respected genius rider. So what; if you love or loathe stoic Stoner it is just a test he ain't coming back this year. To try show up at PI and win after most of the year off and against a deeply talented field that have all smoked him many times before would be fool hardy and potentially embarrassing. A few wheelies on a Blade around PI on a parade lap will suffice. ***** Ciao Mama's!!!!

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Honda want information?

Apparently Honda just want someone to do the donkey work while their preferred test rider recovers from injury. Nothing more.

They're not even prepared to give him a wild card at the end of the year. Dire straits indeed. I doubt he'll even get paid. It'd be money for nothing.

Reply to this Topic
willc955

Jun 12

willc955 says:

P.I. wildcard!

"Only a test" my ass.  Stoner is prepping himself for a Philip Island wildcard ride!  Some folks seem to think he can't show up there and be competitive after a year off.  I say hide and watch him be a second faster than everyone in first practice.

Also, Marquez is already in beast-mode, imagine what he'll be like after he follows Casey around the Island and learns from him!  This gonna be awesome!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices