Skip to content

General riding after an injury. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > riding after an injury.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

riding after an injury.

id appreciate any advice anyone might have.  im finding now that i can walk without crutches and that my right ankle can take the weight of my body. it goes into a motorcycle boot no problem too! to recap: i was in a motorcycle accident where someone drove into my right side and triple fractured my ankle and i needed surgery 9/5/13. ive been recovering since then. im getting to the point where i know i could operate a motorcycle without a increased risk due to my injury. do you think i need to ask my doc or do you thonk im good to go? emergency braking is mainly a front brake affair. im worried my doc might slam the door on my only mode of transport because he doesnt understand what a motorcycle involves, perhaps?  but at the same time i would hate to have an accident (sods law) and then have some insurance company try to use my injiry against me. theres no way i would ride if my ankle was a hinderance, but i guess these things can have an offical process. has anyone any experience of this type of problem?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 July 2013 11:54)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Stunty69

Feb 04

Stunty69 says:

You Need...

if you are in doubt, you will have to get clearance from your GP or consultant. To 'cover your arse' you also need to speak to your insurance company and confirm that you are fit enough to ride.

:smile

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

will do

okay, will do. i would hate to be on the wrong end of the blame end of an accident, even when i may not have been responsible for a collision! 

but, im worried they might go overkill on me. pull my licence and say i have to do my test again because i had a broken ankle. is that likely??

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Injury

I can't see how a doctor will be able to judge your capabilities better than you can yourself. As far as I'm aware, GP's only make such declarations with regard to notifiable conditions, as in informing the DVLA that you have Epilepsy etc, broken bones are not a notifiable condition,  and it would cost you.

As far as insurance goes it would be up to the insurer to prove that the injury was a contributing factor to any accident that might occur. 

Reply to this Topic
Stunty69

Feb 04

Stunty69 says:

If

you had surgery, as oppossed to a 'standard' break, you would have been put under the care of a consultant surgeon. He will asses your fitnes! If you get his approval, then I would email the insurance company and explain you have been signed off by the consultant as 'fit enough' to resume riding/ work etc....

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

geoffart

Are you or were you in the care of a physiotherapist?

If so, what is their opinion of your range of movement?

My own experience is that when I felt capable enough to ride then I went out on a short journey to assess my capability, my doctors advice was if you think you can ride then try, you will soon find out if you can or not but be honest with yourself. 

No-one else can do this for you as it is you that has to work out if you can operate the machine in a satisfactory manner. After all who is it that will get to pay the pain master.

Insurance company would have to prove you were not fit to ride which will be next to impossible, and lets face it insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to not pay out.

As A side note in the past I have been signed as fit for work but was in no way able to ride or drive. 

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

who to ask

i think being fit for work depends on what you have to do qhen youre at work and how hard it is to get to your office or wherever you work. 

i just saw a physio today. i mentioned he motorcycle but she knew very little about bikes. the surgeon who operated on me is a biker believe it or not!  but he's one very busy many, virtually impossible to reach and he would not in a million years have time to look into whether i can ride a bike.  it would be nice if he could though, but that my experience from trying to contact him before.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

opinions

i really dont think my injury will affect my ridong in anyway. as you say having to pay the paim master should be good enough motivation for me. at the moment my ankles not quite strong enough perhaps to support a 216kg machine from slipping on lose gravel and goig over, but it is strong and getting stronger rapidly. i want to do a ride on a new bike in three weeks time to visit a friend in plymouth, and im in portsmouth, which is a four hour journey i think. should be okay. the physio was very happy with my progress, but we both noted some reduce potwntial to flex foot upwards (very common). i susspose i could go to my past motorcycle instructor and ask hifor his professional opinion and see if my emergency brake is good. he could then be an expert witness if anything bad happened

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

bike

ok, just sat on my ybr125 (my bike that wasnt smashed by a white van man). i seem to have made progress with flex in my foot. with boots on i can indeed hold ny right foot over the rear brake easily without braking. the only problem i did come across was when it was time to get the ybr back on to its centre stand! i have to push down hard with my right

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

centre stand

... continuing in another post because mcn forums still dont like smart phones.... foot and that hurt, but i was still able to do it. i guess itll get stronger in time though. other than that i could thrash the bike left and right with out ankle pain, so im def okay to ride i think. i wish the ybr had a side stand! hopping off a centre stand only bike feels dodgy no matter how uaed to it i get. anything gets stuck and its curtains! 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I ride

regularly with leg problems. What you need to be sure of is that you can support the bike under normal conditions and that your range of movement is sufficient. You also need to be confident that pain isn't going to impact your ability to concentrate, that it won't worsen due to the movements involved and that you're not going to stiffen up and leave yourself shafted for adequate control. Make sure you can shift from side to side and that you're confident that you can shove both legs down if you have to without undue stress / pain.

You GP will simply ask you if you feel ready as you're the one who knows about riding and where you're at with healing.

If you're still on pain meds you need to consider this carefully before riding.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices