Skip to content

General corners? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > corners?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

corners?

Is it just me or do some of you guys have the same thing?

I have been riding for years and had many bikes of different shapes and sizes but it's most noticeable when I ride a sport bike hard. (got a gsxr 1000 now but also noticed it when I had a zx10r, zx7r and TL1000s)

I find that I have more confidence going round right hand corners then I do left hand corners. I'm not the worlds fastest rider (if I was I would be riding with rossi or guy martin) but I don't hang around either, for example I can go round a tight right hander and get my knee down, lean the bike over to silly angles and carry loads of speed through long sweeping right handers and easily go right to the edge of the tyre.

BUT if I spin the bike round so the tight and long sweeping corners become left handers I don't seem to have the confidence to lean the bike as much, carry as much speed through the corner, get my left knee down or get right to the edge of the left side of the tyre (got about 1/2 - 1 mm chicken strip on the left but the right side of the tyre looks messy and chewed up with no chicken strip)

I've mentioned it to a couple of guys at the local bike meet, they don't experience more or less confidence in left or right corners and one suggested that I have more experience in right corners because of round abouts  but I don't think that's the case, I go round as many nice left hand corners as I do right hand corners when I go out for my sunday grin

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 July 2013 12:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

One word....

Visibility! 

:smile

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

As in..

You can see more round a right than round a left.. Have you ever been on track? If not, why not if you are chewing up the tyres on the road?

Can you do lefts there when you can see as much as you can on the rights?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Could always get a Harley

then both left and right handers will be equally shite :smile

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Right vs left

I'm sure StealthSV is right and view off the road ahead plays a part but for me it's the other way round.

I've always preferred left handers and i put it down to camber. left hand bends are more likely to have positive camber because thats how we build roads in this country. It also means you are closer to the ground on right handers, hence tyre edge and knee wear.

Reply to this Topic
sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

good point

both points probably play a part (road camber and visibility) but wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a difference (i'm also including left handers that you can clearly see round, like over the top of the hedges as your approaching it for example)

in response to stealth was that a dig at my chewing tyres comment? if it was....... I dunno i'll think of something, are you a nut case built like a tank? or would I win in a round of fisticuffs? lol but no, I haven't done a track day, on the road I stay with in my comfort zone but knowing me I would go over the top on a track day, push myself past what i'm comfortable doing and know that i'll end up regretting it

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

totally opposite

I can do left but rights are a no go, I will avoid as much as possible.

I think my problem is I am right handed with a dominant left eye which the brain interprets that my vision hence confidence is not great going right.

Makes roundabouts interesting !!!

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

I

have a V max and no matter how I try I have to get off round corners.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hmm

i too once had a V-Max and no matter how hard i tried i couldn't stop doing rolling burnouts :huh:

:lol:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

smidget

that cracked me up:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

baby

how'd ya find out which eye is dominant? it's not like you drink, smoke or wank with it now is it  :huh:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices