Go to most recent reply

hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Bike road Tax

Bring Motorcycle road tax inline with that of cars - e-petitions

Signed 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 July 2013 23:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tommyzoom85

Jul 13

tommyzoom85 says:

bike tax

signed:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Emissions.

I agree with this petition although I think the CO2 figures are wrong (109g CO2/km for a Toyota Aygo vs 159g/km for a VFR800). Bikes aren't as favourable per kilometre, but if we protest based only upon current, crude measures of pollution (CO2 emissions, measured on a rolling road instead of a real journey) I think we're on shaky ground. There is less idling in traffic jams with a bike.

We like to claim high fuel efficiency and low pollution but most of us are riding big, fast bikes, not frugal 125 commuter bikes.

What about volatile organic compounds (VOCs)? I think CO2 is a false measure of pollution. It's come from the theory of global warming and it's why there are so many diesel cars about. They might have lower CO2 emissions than petrol but every time I see a newish diesel car puff out black smoke on acceleration I think, "That ain't right in 2013!". The black smoke contains particulates (soot) which are harmful to health, but that hazard isn't top of the authorities' concerns at the moment. I expect it'll become flavour of the month later and the showrooms will be full of petrol cars again.

Global Warming's emphasis on CO2 is also probably why the Met Office's recent multi-million pound computer has made terrible predictions like the "barbecue summer." Some MPs have sinced called for an even more expensive Met Office computer but the fact is no matter how fancy the computer hardware, if you put garbage in you get garbage out. In this case I reckon an over-reliance on CO2 levels in climate modelling has led to dodgy computer algorithms for weather predictions.

I digress! Petition signed.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsnan

Jul 13

beaconsnan says:

Signed

this would save me money on the Bandit and ZZR1100 (going through its MOT soon) I'm sure.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Signed ......... but .......

I can't help thinking that this petition is a waste of time and will result in the square root of sweet feck all difference.

This and recent governments have done nothing to promote motorcycling. In fact exactly the opposite. I'm convinced they want to kill it off, manifest by the difficulty and sheer expense of new riders gaining a licence to ride anything half decent.

Yes, the new system will likely result in fewer casualty statistics, but not through more stringent training alone, which is undoubtedly what the muppets in power would have us believe. The biggest reduction in KSI figures will be from fewer riders taking up biking in the first place.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

VFR800..

159g/km under the changes you're all supporting road tax would be £175 a year.Let's all sign and get things changed so we can pay a shit load more!!!:smile

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Yes please I'd like to pay more tax

As James and CB13 said, if any of you own big-capacity or performance bikes, you're all signing a petition asking to pay higher road tax.
The only winners would be frugal commuter bikes.  A big V-twin sports bike would easily get into the £285 tax band if taxed on the car rates.

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

Hmmmm...

gone a bit quiet on this post:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN