Skip to content

Discuss This Aspar torn between Aprilia and Honda for 2014 MotoGP season MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Aspar torn between Aprilia and Honda for 2014 MotoGP season

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Aspar torn between Aprilia and Honda for 2014 MotoGP season

Spain’s high-profile Aspar MotoGP squad is torn over its future premier class plans, with options to remain as Aprilia’s number one outfit or buy Honda’s new production RC213V racer on the table. The Aspar squad has dominated the new CRT category, with Aleix Espargaro producing a series of stunning performances on a high-spec machine based on the Aprilia RSV4 superbike. Aspar team...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 July 2013 11:54)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Gutted?

Aspar have been doing brilliantly dominating the CRT class and proving they are a top level team worthy of Support and sponsorship. I hope they make the right decision next year with regards to their machinery and can continue to be competitive in the Non-MSMA class. They'll be gutted If the rumours of Forward racing recieving 2 satellite spec M1 Yamahas running the Spec ECU and software turn out to be true.

*EDIT*

just conjecture but the prospect of Aprillia possibly coming in as factory effort next year is very exciting. They seem to have played the game well, exploiting the CRT rules to develop a factory effort from within the championship. Suzuki take note.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I think

that Aprilia needs to go down the factory route so the company can try and expand with its smaller bikes to the growing markets of asia and south america. But who would you get to ride a full blown prototype ART?

Reply to this Topic
neilf

Aug 02

neilf says:

diceman23

From what I remember hearing over the weekend at Laguna, Suzuki couldn't do an "Aprilia" in the CRT class because it has been less than 7 years since they competed in MotoGP as a factory... or something like that. Aprilia last raced the RS Cube in 2004.

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

stick with Aprilia...

...hopefully the new engine spec will be able to cure the lack of straight line speed. If that does happen to be the case then what reason would they have to switch to the Honda? best go with what they already have and stick with it, its already competitive as it is!!

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Aleix seems to have that little extra over the other ART CRTs. It's been said on Eurosport that there is the possibility its running the gear driven cams,RdP asked for it last year but didn't get.

Hondas production racer and the springs. I remember when Yam took the pneumatics Honda waited a little saying they could close a valve at 18,000 with springs. Wasn't the the bore and stroke rule that come in with the 1000cc engines there to cut costs by limiting the revs a engine could make.Maybe the production racer won't be that bad with the springs

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Is it possible that the pneumatic engines can run variable valve timing?

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

PBR

I thought I'd heard Paul Bird saying one of Hondas engineers was having a word with them ,and I think Toby Moody asked Bird  about pneumatic valves and he laughed it off , any body shed any light on this ?

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Aleix/ART

One of the commentators definatley mentioned Aleix's engine having received a physical update (not just software) that the other ARTS aren't running yet. Can't find any other reference to it though so may be nonsense but then again Aleix was considerably faster than any of the other CRTs including RDP

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Not wanting te call you anything Benny,when ye not trolling you are one of the best reeds on here and funny too.

What do ye say about the capability of the production Honda with the springs,I think it could be a good one,look at any of the wss motors,they all run springs without dropping or bouncing valves and they're probably running 19.000 rpm + 

If Ducati weren't using there desmo system pneumatics would have been banned 2 years ago,I wouldn't expect Ducati to give up this system has its used on there road bikes.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

on a slightly different note

Neilf- I'm pretty sure Suzuki could have produced a proddie racer much like the ART and sold it to private teams without breaching the CRT rules i fear they may have missed a trick.

Benny- Engine reliability may be the key issue that decides whether Aprilia come back as an MSMA entry though the 'Suzuki Rule' allowing new MSMA entries to compete initially with 9 engines instead of 5 may help them out. Personaly i'd love to see them in MotoGP their certainly doing well in SBK.

Either way with the options of M1 engines and proddie Hondas next year if ART wishes to stay non-MSMA next year they are going to be facing some stiff competition and will require and update if they want to stay non-MSMA/CRT weapon of choice-Sucks to be the benchmark eh?

- Your point about the Kawasaki Engine update could turn out to be interesting if the engine provides enough power and FTR can build a chassis that works with as you say we may yet see a Kawasaki MSMA entry in the near future.

wishful thinking aside we'll probably have to wait till 2015 to find out. Even so the mere possibility of seeing three more manafactures on the Grid by then is a though woth smiling about.

Alex- who would you get to ride a full ART prototype? With so much exciting talent around at the moment relegated to uncompetitive machinery I reckon the question is who do you want?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices