Skip to content

Discuss This BMW withdraw from WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > BMW withdraw from WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

BMW withdraw from WSB

BMW have confirmed today that they will terminate their involvement in the World Superbike championship at the end of the 2013 season. BMW joined WSB with a big budget full factory team with their class leading S1000R in 2009. Although it took three years before they secured their first WSB win, they are now one of the benchmark teams in the series...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 July 2013 13:58)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cossie748

Dec 07

cossie748 says:

Agreed ratchetman. I followed bsb, wsb, and moto gp until sky took over, and sadly this will be my last year of watching moto gp unless it comes back to terrestrial tv in the future.

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

Quitters

I find it hard to blame Dorna for any part of this withdrawl - time and time again BMW have shown us they are serial quitters. F1, WRC, Sports Cars, DTM and now WSBK. What an absolute shower of shit they are.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

So that's 16 bikes for next years grid then

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I wonder if a good run team can take these bikes and run them competativly? We all remember when a team dusted off a factory R6 that had not even turend over for a whole season. And Chaz Ruled on that bike in WSS. Of course a WSS bike is not as highly tuned as an WSB bike, but still. Is it true that you Brits can't watch WSB for free? Because here in Holland we can! We get it on Eurosport 1 if there is no Tennis or some other shite sport going on, when there is we get it on Eurosport2 wich is better cause then you get Witham/Burnicle. Eurosport2 is in English here, and we get most BSB races on that too. Although that is hardly ever live. Seems strange that we get races live with English comentarry for free, and you guys have to pay for it. Not that i am complaining:-) wouldn't it be great if there was a propper European racing channel, with BSB, WSB, Real Road Racing, all MotoGp classes including free practice. With documentaires about great riders during the week? I would pay 20 euro's a month for that easilly.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

WSB is knackered

Of course BMW's withdrawal from WSB is down to Dorna. They made no secret of the fact they wanted BMW in MotoGP a year ago but at the time WSB offered a lot of cutting edge bacng for buck for the German manufacturer. Now Dorna is in charge of both series it is dumbling down WSB to the point where companies wanting to develop racing bikes will always opt for MotoGP. Having Dorna running both series will inevitably hurt whichever series Dorna can charge least for, which is WSB. Saying all that, racing is racing and having riders competing against each other on bikes similar to those in the shops, which is what WSB should be about, is perhaps no bad thing. But of manufacturers only want to play at one party, it will be MotoGP.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

nigel100

Nothing like a well balanced response there, well done you, also, i believe they won last time out !

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Two of the biggest names gone in WSBK first Yamaha went know BMW joins them. We can all hope that they do return to the series.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

that sums up wsbk

its over ,moto gp is the pinnacle of the sport BSB is the best shop window , how many bsb riders have moved into wsbk and remained no better than stagnant.the factories are not committed to this boring series,another thing how many World Champions have there been that move to moto gp and do any good Toseland:lol::tongue:, Hodgson,Spies,Edwards,Corser,for me only Fogarty and Bayliss Stand out as better than the others mentioned but moto gp Champions None ,Most of these rider couldnt win a british championship let alone a motogp ,I for one wont miss BMW nor the whole sreies for that matter lets fill the grids in moto gp and bsb and maybe a european championship WSBK please fold:ph43r::ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I can see your point stig

But the price of moto gp and to be competitive is ridiculous. I would like to see 38 bikes on the grid at motogp with at least a third of them chasing wins but alas no the pinnacle of world motorcycle racing has 5 this year 3 last year, next year it will be back to 4 racers going for the title and if DP does get the boot it will be 3 again. At least WSBK has had a number of winners this year and who would have thought guinters would be leading the championship, a french man that lives in derby,and not a spaniard in site.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

thats

potential WCs by the way.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle