Skip to content

Discuss This BMW withdraw from WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > BMW withdraw from WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

BMW withdraw from WSB

BMW have confirmed today that they will terminate their involvement in the World Superbike championship at the end of the 2013 season. BMW joined WSB with a big budget full factory team with their class leading S1000R in 2009. Although it took three years before they secured their first WSB win, they are now one of the benchmark teams in the series...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 July 2013 13:58)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

Triple

I also agree with you.

I heard that the total price for a full season of WSBK (all expenses included - riders, bikes, accomodation, travel, cattering, own media, etc.) is around 8.000.000 euros and for me that's a lot of money and it get's more expensive by the year.

I believe Dorna had said that it had plans to make WSBK more competitive regarding pricing, limiting development, etc. Perhaps they didn't stick to their original plan and companies such Yamaha and BMW are not willing to spend millions to develop a WSBK bike that would cost almost the same as a MotoGP... Every year I make a business review and allocate budget for different purposes. If the money is not enough, I have to draw resources from other areas and review if the business case is viable. If not I stop the project. After all the crisys in Europe and the motorcycle sales drop in Spain, italy, France (major markets) don't help the situation. Sometime withdrawing is an intelligent decision, no matter the 'cost'.

Unfortunatelly, racing is not a passionate and romantic sport anymore, it is a cruel business where riders have to ride and die in shitty conditions (ex. Moscow) because of contracts and TV adverts.

The show must go on...

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

WSBK has lost its Sparkle

It's simply gone full circle,It was initially a poor relation of the sport with Bimota's being up there etc then it gained momentum in the late eighties and the heyday ninety's ,But its this simple, there were quite radical sports bikes like RC30's OW01 and 7.888 dukes 916 etc that people wanted cheaper road versions of,now since then there is a depletion of Factory innovation ,the long in the tooth dull fireblade no Yamaha the old Suzuki ,Ducati struggling to make the impact it did and the public simply not buying overpriced sports bikes,The bsb format is where its at ,but I think that another factor is most of these riders came from bsb not as BSB champions in many cases and would find it tough to win a BSB title so where is the kudos to the paying fan ?,If the factories dont back it, the fans dont flock to it ,then the answer is simple its finished,Lets see the cash go into moto gp and BSB ,also wss and moto 2 is both needed either ? The pot is only so big,I have heard many people say how dull WSBK has become,times up ,the economy dictates the market and the series has no credibility whatsoever,Fuller grids at gp and bsb Qualifying having its true meaning,qualifying to get on the grid

Reply to this Topic
hello4646

Oct 08

hello4646 says:

Well

That is one less option for Ben Spies as well! Nice one Nigel100 LOL And lets not forget folks. We have not had some wise words from BENNY the PRICK yet. One less option for a Welsh rider!

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

I tend to disagree with the thought that WSB is different to how it was in the 90s - back then we had mostly homologation specials which only the privileged few could afford as the basis of the WSB bike. As Carlos points out, this even happens today and is highlighted in Superstock racing. Take away the electronics and the bikes are pretty much as closely related to the road bikes that you or I could buy as they were in the 90s. If anything, the switch to 1000s has made them more closely related as they are priced within the grasp of a regular Joe. Electronic systems, love them or hate them, are the biggest change and increased cost since the 90s, but racing is for development and these systems provide the biggest leaps in performance improvement these days, and we are beginning to see (the benefit of?) this tech feed down into roadbikes.

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but does not the winnowing down of WSB help MotoGP both of which are, of course, owned by the Dorna crowd?

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

WSBK + MotoGP

If I had my way I'd integrate World Superbikes into the MotoGP weekend. First race on Sunday would be WSBK race one followed by Moto 3 and 2 then WSBK race two, then MotoGP. The World Superbike riders would get greater exposure than they do now and the manufacturers would too. Make it so that only the base model could be used along with whatever electronics are fitted as standard, allowing only suspension and swingarm tuning/ replacement and allow any tyre manufacturer to enter the championship.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

So you`d be happy

With watching Cal ( or any other home rider ) bust a gut on non competitive machery  and never win ( because some Italian , Spaniard ,German ! brings top sponsership money )against Worldsupers where the Brits given top clas stuff do the business ! remember the 90s when mostly Spaniards were winning apart from Doohan and Foggy was over looked  for a "works Yamaha bike/ in favor of Abe because Phillip Morris insisted because Abe sold lots of fag in the far east . Oh and give it a few years the Spanish and Italians are nearly skint so top rides will go to up and coming economies eg Brazilians and Indians , rich kids whos daddies own big money  compnanys that plough money to MotoGp didnt think about that did you ? Karel Abraham is a classic example  he`s set CRT on fire has`nt he ! I really hope Dorna sees sense and push through a more real World Superbike series that is CHEAPER than the current set up because we`re gonna get shafted its beguin with BT sport channel .

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I think

that Moto gp and WSBK should be kept apart. Moto gp is prototype racing and lets hope it stays that way, but world supers brings performance from mass produced bikes, ok some very expensive performance parts but still going in a bike you could buy in theory. El D also knocked that nail fair and square on the head.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices