Skip to content

Discuss This Round Britain charity ride calls for riders General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Round Britain charity ride calls for riders

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Round Britain charity ride calls for riders

A motorcyclist riding 4000 miles around the British coastline to raise cash for charity is calling for support from other riders as he makes his way around the country.Paul Newman from Cambridge will be leaving on September 1 on a ride following the British coastline as closely as possible on a journey of 4000 miles with the target of raising...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 July 2013 16:52)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dupafa32

Jul 13

dupafa32 says:

Earn Money

as Marvin replied I didn't know that a single mom can make $4482 in a few weeks on the internet. did you read this web page ...........zee44.com

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

NAS accounts 2012

£172,000 to senior management. £138,000 on auditing. £53,000 in meeting expenses. £10,000 won't even cover the trustees' £12,000 personal expenses claims. I am of course worse than Hitler for citing these figures, because charity.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Wow!!!

What a trooper!! Brilliant guy, clearly sacrificed a lot for this!! I mean, come on, 280 miles a day?! This guy must be a super hero to survive that. Plus, what with the cost of maintenance on his bike, and wear and tear on his gear... oh, wait. Yeah. Paul, I think raising money to help any charity is brilliant - but why on earth should you be getting a free 14 day holiday out of this as well?! Absolute toss.

Reply to this Topic
PaulNewman292

Jul 13

Wow !!

Wow, I must admit i was not expecting such negativity. I think Cobbz has missed the point. This is more about bikers getting together and doing some good.  If i wanted a holiday I would be sunning it up on the beach, booked over the internet and forgot about. Organising this has took a lot of hard work, time and commitment. Whilst your entitled to your opinion you have well and truly got it wrong. This is all for my boy who lives with Autism and to repay the charity for it's time and advice, as it was a god send for me. Free Holiday ?? not at all, chance to some good mate that's all this is.

Reply to this Topic
PaulNewman292

Jul 13

Just to add

Whilst I am on i just thought i would add that this was never meant to be some mental test of endurance, or to be done in an amazing time, this was more about reaching as many people as possible all around the UK, it is about getting people together through there love of 2 wheels to do some good, it was about any one being able to turn up and ride with us and it is also about raising the profile and awareness of the charity. At the end of all this if one person changes there opinion and looks at some one with autism in a slightly different light or if a handfull of adults looking after children with Autism get pointed to the help they will need as a result of what I am doing, then all of this will have been worth while.With regards to Rogerborgs Figures I would like to ask if you looked up how much money was ploughed into services ? or too build and run there schools for Autistic children ? how about there bid to have Autism recognised by law and to ensure people with autism have there needs met by law by there local authority's ? All charitys require money to function at the end of the day. Have a look at the things they do for people and not what they spend doing it : )

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

Good for you Paul. Always great when someone makes an effort to give something back. My sister works for a charity so I know how much they will appreciate your efforts. Good luck with the ride and if I'm not snowed under at work I'll try to join in around the Kent coast.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I can see both sides to this discussion. I think Paul's efforts are admirable and he's doing it with the best intentions. But I also understand where Rogerborg is coming from. Maybe not in this case but I believe there are people making a living out of starting 'charities' looking for gullible people who want to donate money to a good cause which winds up paying salaries and mortgages for the organisers. And I am speaking as someone who has a friend who is a divorced mother of 4 children, all with Aspergers which is a type of autism and that is a struggle for her living off benefits. Taking into account what this will cost, it might be better if Triumph allowed Paul to auction the bike as fuel, insurance, hotel costs etc is all money that could go to the charity. A quick calculation tells me fuel alone will be around £550. Paul says he has received worthwhile help from the NAS, but what is his reply to Rogerborgs figures?

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

There is a valid point there about many people starting foundations etc but it's not really for this article is it? The article is simply promoting a chap that is using his passion for motorcycles to do his bit to help a cause that means a lot to him. An argument over how much it costs to run a charity wasn't necessary in my opinion. I have my own views on that but I'll keep them to myself. I just though that Paul deserved a bit of support and credit for trying to make a bit of a difference.

Reply to this Topic
PaulNewman292

Jul 13

Well I thought i would clear up SatNavSteves point about the costs. The cost of the ride has came from a mix of businesses sponsoring me and my own pocket. Not one penny donated by any body goes to me or the ride's expenses. The sponsor ship side of things is in exchange for advertising on the website and maybe's a t shirt or sticker etc. I feel that to enable me to do this taking the sponsorship was the right thing to do to make sure every thing donated by the public would not have a penny deducted by Ride for Autism and went straight to the Charity. The rest of the money came from the sale of my bike. Whilst every one is entitled to there opinions lets not detract from the good that I am trying to do ! Money to one side Autism effects 2 million people in the uk if you take familys into account and if this ride helps one of them then it's all good. Also Thank you for sticking up for me DGF80 this is the first time i've had to defend what i am doing and your support meens a lot.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Paul!

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have to say that, regardless of where the money comes from, spending around 10% of what you are trying to raise by doing this ride is excessive in my view. I'm not against supporting charities, I give to cancer research and a local children's hospice by direct debit every month and I don't even have children of my own. I understand you are very sincere in your efforts, I just think there are less costly ways of raising money. As you have noticed, there are people who will think its a free holiday for yourself but I don't see it that way, I'm just looking at value for money. £1000 could buy a lot of toys for a children's hospice! Incidentally, if for some reason you can't complete the ride, what happens to the promised donations?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices