Skip to content

General Shell V power nitro +..... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Shell V power nitro +.....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Shell V power nitro +.....

Has anybody tried it.........Is it any better than "Normal" Super.....................And do we have to ..................................Remove our Helmets...:mad:?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 July 2013 08:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

fuel

economy seems better but that could be the heat.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Definitely

better for my old Blade (carburetors you see).

Couldn't tell the difference with the ZX12r.

But ...... even better in the Blade .... Tesco Momentum 99. Noticeably more zip to the bike. I'd just done a tank of VPower, then filled up with Momentum99 at Launceston. It was like having a strong tail wind. er, well you know what I mean.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Can't

tell the difference in the Street Triple, but I often buy it as the petrol startion is only at the end of the road. And I have  Shell card and I don't have to take my crash helmet off.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

I

don't bother as the jap bike engine I have in mine was designed to run on chickens wee which I am finding more difficult to find these days so have rigged the bike to run on old codger piddle.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

trouble is once you put it in

there is a very strong difference you end up using it all the time, its expensive enough without going too far, and as smidget says japs bikes will run happily with just the normal unleaded piss in.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I only

spend £10 a week on fuel so I'm not that miffed about it - if it gives me extra range then that's a little extra lee way if I decide to take the piss on when to fill up.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Shell V power nitro +

Having grudgingly admitted in an earlier thread that here might be some truth in this Super Unleaded stuff I still think it's mainly marketing guff. It's similar to washing powder where there have been no real technological advances (it's soap!) but we've been seduced into paying more for "Actilift" and "Oxy-action", double-action tablets, nets, balls and other dispensers, 2-in-1 detergent and fabric softener with orange blossom and sparkling pomegranate, ffs!

If the liquid stuff is 35% detergents the rest must be water, right? Marketing hype!

Back to fuel, the quality depends alot on the cleanliness in the underground tanks.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I wonder

if it's the placebo effect - ie, it "makes a difference" because people think it makes a difference.

If I fill up with El Cheapo Fuel, and then run on Esso / Shell after, I can't say I notice a difference.

Never bothered with "super" unleaded - some swear it's more economical, but does the difference in economy outweigh the extra cost at the pump?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Welllll

I had one bike I thought was broken when it got some cheap supermarket petrol. I almost took it in as it was running so badly. Sure enough after I'd run the tank almost down and refilled, it started to perk up.

My CBR 125 was definitely more economical all year round on super. Even with the extra range it was still slightly more expensive but the convenience more than made up for it. This was the highest revving bike I've had and in theory higher octane is better in higher revving bikes due to fast evaporation or something.

Bigger bikes I've noticed little difference until now but as I say this could be due to the much warmer weather and the resulting effect on oils. Even the grease in the wheel bearings is going to be thinner so everything will move better, not just the engine.

I'm going to continue putting it in as it's only an extra 50p-£1 per fill up and I'll see how it goes. I ran for a long time on normal stuff so I know roughly what that does to a tank.

As for running - it has cut out once or twice on this stuff which it hasn't done since winter but this has only been whilst cold on the cooler mornings and might be just that I've forgotten I need to keep the revs up when it's cooler. I've noticed no difference in power or smoothness.

The biggest difference really is the additives they put in which should in theory keep things cleaner and reduce clogging of injectors, etc. Of course if there's shit in your fuel tank or in their underground tank that makes it through the filters then it probably doesn't matter.

The claim from the nitro+ stuff is that is has more KY jelly in it... I mean lubricants. That's how I read it anyway. They just kept repeating the same damn point again and again as basically, it's the same as the last stuff.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Phil

Reading your last post it sounds like your engine would benefit from a little attention as it is a well known that engines run far better when the ambient air is cooler / colder, this is due to the air having a higher oxygen content.

As for the cutting out when at idle it may pay you to add some Redex fuel system cleaner to your fuel or raise the idle speed by a few revs. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices