You are in... Forums > General > General > im a believer

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

im a believer

never really had much thought on the positives of ABS but after a full blooded both brakes jammed on from 100mph to avoid being squashes by an errant 40 ton lorry on the M6 late this afternoon i now do believe ABS is in fact a life saver, still not keen on the linked braking system they put on the vfrs and blackbirds ABS is much more of a safety leap forward than i would ever have believed.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 July 2013 18:47)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Baby

You only need them once......but boy do they save yer skin...... I..... however never exceed the given speed limit in this Country....:winkie:....didn't know Germany had an M6 too.......:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

confused

are we talkin to ourselves again mr snev?

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

only bike i've had with Abs

was a bmw k75 back in the early 90's when it was well and truely in it infancy as a technoligy. have to say it wasn't up to much then.

Havent ridden a bike with it since! have an open mind to be honest as i'm not a fan of the current digital revolution, but as the next bike i get is likely to be the 675r i will have it on the next bike!

chances are though that all new bikes will have to have it before much longer!

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

diablere

had i been on a non ABSbike im pretty sure something would have let go, full stamp on the rear usually gets em wriggling about but nothing just controlled fast and safe slow down, i love it now would not be without it.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

BabySnev.....

I do believe we may well be........ A while back I spotted a well hidden member of the "Highway Robbery department and locked the Busa's front at about.....?35...proper messed me Thong.....(Hi Rosey) I did.......

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

through

the vfr800 sideways one day because some copper at the side of the M4 started pointing a gun at the van driver in front. Twat just stood on his brakes, shit- a- brick and just through the baby into space! then slammed on as I realised the shooter was now pointing the gun at me! 

ABS didn't trip in so at the next service station stopped to remove the skid marks from my attire and looked for the ABS ratchet thingy ...ha not present.

So a couple of lessons learnt

1. Do not wear white undies, shit cannot be easily scrapped from them easier to to bin them.Wet wipes are handy

2, Don't rely on ABS if you haven't got it

3.  Keep well away from insane van drivers -they can stand on brakes without warning 

4. Next bike to have an invisibility cloak when under radar attack.

5. Linked brakes aren't bad   

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I had ABS

on my BMW. Felt most peculiar when it was working, although it only kicked in twice while I had it. It was quite a primitive version though.

The Street Triple doesn't have it, but I'm sure it has far better stopping power, even without. Maybe it just feels safer as it's nearly new.

I would be happy to have another bike with ABS on though. 

I've not ridden anything with linked brakes, so can't comment on that. 

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

Had a harley with ABS..

why would you need ABS on a bike with brakes that don't work thinks I.Turns out it stands for Anchor Both Sides,you just chuck em out and hope to stop:smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

It's

a reason I'm considering a CBR600RR as it has a fancy linked ABS system. Whilst I like being in control I know from experience that you go to pot in an emergency very easily. Playing computer games and finding someone leap out at you and you spray a gun everywhere is a simple example. Wouldn't it be handy to have a gun that you were in control of except when someone lept out at you and it automatically reacted? At the very least minimising the damage if not getting the carefully considered headshot you'd get in a nice planned attack.

Same with ABS - my BMW has a crappy system that didn't kick in and left a skid mark when I needed it but kicks in occasionally when I don't (used to do it all the time on the rear but since I adjusted the shock for my weight it's much better). The system on the CBR takes over in an emergency and will use both front and back brakes together so it gives you the best possible stop. Whilst I'm sure that a racer or someone experienced could beat it in testing I wonder how well they'd cope with that when the shit really hits the fan and you panic.

I think for real, every day riders in real conditions this kind of technology saves crashes and possibly saves lives. For those of you who think you can do better than ABS - it's certainly possible and experienced riders have shown in tests that they can. BUT can you beat it and stay on the bike when your fight or flight response kicks in when it's wet in those milliseconds before the adrenaline even gets chance to be excreted, never mind kick in? How sure are you of that? I ride all year round in any weather and know I can control a skid but I still doubt I could beat ABS.

Obviously if I did get the CBR, I'd have to stop riding in the snow... I don't think it'd cope and the ABS is locked on so you can't deactivate it when you're being an idiot and riding it on ice.... or mud.... or snow.

I'd love to take a CBR off road. If it wasn't mine or I was rich beyond words.

EDIT: The CBR600F has the same system.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

vulcanrider

I Have to Agree.....did about 35000 miles or so on my Blackbird...not to mention my previous two CBR1000F's.....never had a moment due to CBS...... to be honest.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices