Skip to content

General are my brakes ok? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > are my brakes ok?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

are my brakes ok?

I've got a GSXR1000 it's two years old and due for new fluids (coolant & brake fluid) changed both and while i was at it cleaned the calippers and put new pads in (only done 5000 miles and still had the original pads in) When i finished the job i wheeled the bike back and forth pulling the brake and the bike felt a bit heavier to push so i got the front wheel off the ground and tried spinning it, i can feel some resistance and if i give it a fast spin i guess i get about 3/4 of a rotation before the wheel stops (not quite a fill rotation of the wheel) if i remove the callipers and give the wheel a fast spin i guess i get 3 or 4 rotations of the wheel before it stops. Now i've explained all that here's my question.

Is that normal?

I've changed brake pads countless times in the past on different bikes and obviously wheeled my bike around alot (getting it in and out the garage etc...) maybe my bike and every bike is like that and i've only just noticed it or maybe my brakes are binding a bit, i don't know and was hoping one or two of you guys could pop out to your bike, give your front wheel a firm spin and see if it only gives you 2/3 - 1 whole rotation before stopping or feel for any restance as you slowly spin the wheel.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 July 2013 18:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

sounds like

the pistons might need a quick wipe down with a cleaning agent, remove the new pads, then apply the front brake to push the pistons out , not too much lever pulling or the pistons all six of the little buggers will pop out, any dirt or crud should be gently cleaned away , a wd40 dampned cloth is as good as anything to wipe the pistons down, just keep it away from the pad material and discs , pop the pads back in then away you go there should be a little bit of drag due to floating nature of the disc but it shouldnt be too much, a good stiff push on the wheel should yield one full turn of the wheel .

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

brakes

gsxr1000 2yrs old, so it has radial 4 pot calipers. Makes no difference. As babyrocket said ya brakes are binding don't ride it until its sorted unless you want to buy new discs.   

Reply to this Topic
sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

thanks

for the comments, I guessed they was binding but was just doing some wishful thinking lol. I can't do any more to it until tomorrow now but whats worrying me is that I did clean the pistons before pushing them back to put the new pads in. i'll try shouting at it, see if that works

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices