Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati

Cal Crutchlow has taken a massive career gamble by accepting the tough challenge of transforming Ducati’s flagging fortunes in MotoGP next season. The British rider rejected an improved pay deal to stay with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad and will be reunited with former teammate Andrea Dovizioso on a factory Desmosedici in 2014. The former World Supersport champion had until last...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 263 days ago (01 August 2013 16:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

He's gotta get paid at some point

Riders only have a small window of opportunity to get paid racing bikes. He can't keep making a few hundred thousand a season and expect to live comfortably after racing or god forbid if he gets injured. I know Dovi was only getting around $200k at Tech 3 which was a 90% decrease from the $2 million he was making at Honda. That's a huge fucking drop from a factory ride to a satellite ride which is why Dovi jumped at the Ducati. Cal has pretty much been making chicken feed at Tech 3 compared to what factory riders are making. I seriously doubt the contract offer he had on the table from Yamaha resembled anything Ducati was offering. 

Reply to this Topic
WillRTW

May 13

WillRTW says:

I am pleased with his decision...

It is an honourable one.

Too much has been said for him to stay at Yamaha, and it would of been grossly unfair for Smithy to lose his prototype seat. Cal has said too much, and Yamaha jumped the gun signing Pol (have they not seen Aleix at least!!!) So, it is down to both parties in my eyes.

Yamaha have lost a very good rider, Monster will not be delighted and Cal has lost a good ride.

2014 is the time for CC to beat Dovi, on a like for like basis, and for Ducati to build the bike they both need.

I wish them all well... and am pleased Cal will at least get the payday he deserves and needs for his and his families future... short shelf life in bike racing.

Reply to this Topic
ivan_lima

Jul 05

ivan_lima says:

Honestly

the best of British to you, Cal. This isn't a surprising move for all the reasons already mentioned. And why shouldn't he seek to get a better pay packet for a two year contract at a factory team?

But here's the rub, no matter how well he does against Dovi, he is going to spend next year fending off the customer Hondas and Yamahas. And by this I don't mean the satellite bikes, I mean the new CRT replacements. And there will be no hope of scaring the Factory Hondas and Yamahas.

It would be interesting to be proven wrong.

I really hope he doesn't end up with any bad injuries.

Reply to this Topic
huggydave

Aug 12

huggydave says:

Nice work cal!

Ah balls to principles, he'll fly on that desmo, I see it on the front of MCN already "cal conquers the desmo". Good decision for me, hope he gets properly paid n we see him on front row at quatar in 2014, C'mon Cal!

Reply to this Topic
gaziskwakers

Feb 06

gaziskwakers says:

eddie lizard

tell me how you pay your with principles?

Good luck Cal, come on Audi pull your fingers out.

Reply to this Topic
gaziskwakers

Feb 06

gaziskwakers says:

correction

pay your morgage i meant. ooppss

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

All the best...

Crutchlow will better get that elusive win this season because he will not be any where near the front next year.
Maybe in time if they can build a decent bike Ducati can be back at the front but in the meantime I am sure the bike will continue to destroy rider confidence.
Good pay cheque though!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
aintnothin

Apr 12

aintnothin says:

Cal

Hardly surprising from his point of view, which is factory ride + $$.  There's an outside chance Ducati will significantly improve while he's there.

Hopefully he has the good sense to not throw his body on the ground trying to make the bike go faster.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

A Ducati fan

Ducati shelves are stacked with British trophies,can't imagine Cal adding to, but it's time Ducati had a trier on board.

Reply to this Topic
jay13

Nov 05

jay13 says:

See you in world superbikes in a few years 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle