Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Cal Crutchlow signs for Ducati

Cal Crutchlow has taken a massive career gamble by accepting the tough challenge of transforming Ducati’s flagging fortunes in MotoGP next season. The British rider rejected an improved pay deal to stay with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad and will be reunited with former teammate Andrea Dovizioso on a factory Desmosedici in 2014. The former World Supersport champion had until last...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 361 days ago (01 August 2013 16:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Nostro???

Why do you state Ducati can win again but Dovi "KNOWS" he cannot win? Really, thought you were a racer? Dovi thinks he can and will try, try, and try again. Dovi certainly thinks he has the measure of Cal and since when on the same machinery always did, why would you imply Cal could win one day (since for the foreseeable future he is their only hope, unless you count Dovi) and Dovi "knows" he cannot? Andrea and Ben certainly won't be winners on their 2013 form, disappointing indeed. CRT class at best. The Cal vs Dovi battle next year is one of the hot tickets. Should be grande! 

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

Fantastic

There are many who castigate Cal for this decision but really, why? More money - that's a given, however just because a bike is a dog now does not mean it will remain so. The Yamaha was a piece of junk until they finally got their shit together. Ducati are owned by the largest motor manufacturing group in the world producing some of the greatest technically brilliant cars ever made. A motorcycle is not black magic. Put the right engineers in place with the right resources and you can make a winner. VAG will want to win and because of that sooner or later it will happen. Cal might have jumped at just the right moment when things are about to change. Foggy walked into Ducati at the perfect time and as we all can see what goes around comes around. For years Honday dominated, then Yamaha with of course a win by Duke with Stoner.

And there is a simple reality for Cal with Yamaha. He was never going to win. In a race when the factory bikes are all on the grid he was never going to have that edge needed. Going to Ducati may also not produce a win but that's no worse than where he is now. He's proven that he can get the odd podium but to get on that top spot you need the factory bike or a lot of luck. Probably both. 

So I think that this makes for a more interesting mix next year. Looking forward to seeing what may come of this. 

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Well... if the suit fits.

I recall recent comments like 'I hope he doesn't go to Ducati' or 'It will ruin his career' or words to that effect... Ah well... now it doesn't matter does it? - just for completeness - has he actually signed as this story hasn't broken on the official MotoGP web site?  Is Cal keeping MCN on a happy bung or something? 

Personally, I'm stoked for him.  Multi million pound pay check for the British lad.  He'll miss being off the podium though! 

Good luck mate and if anyone (else other than CS) can tame the duke... we hope it's you.  Battle Royale commence 2014.  Stay injury free for 2013 Cal and hope you get some decent airtime next year.

Reply to this Topic
gixxersixxerman

Mar 12

Damn, I think you guys lost your chance for a Brit GP winner, unless he gets it don't now..  I was pulling for him, he seemed like a great guy to briefly... Briefly talk with at Laguna.. Taking time to actually make a couple sentences instead of the wave or hand shake then walk off..  Anyway.. If he gets frustrated now about bike performance, I can't wait to see his comments after end of the year tests.. 

Now this yank would be happy if Hayden got on that tech3 bike Cal is leaving and start running up front again.. He ran with Rossi, he's running with Dovi, and they are much closer to the front on better bikes

Reply to this Topic
gixxersixxerman

Mar 12

How it was broke to us yanks on superbikeplanet

Knowledgeable sources report that Briton Cal Crutchlow has inked a deal that will see him leave the Yamaha fold and ride for the Italian manufacturer Ducati in MotoGP starting in 2014.

Crutchlow's absence at the recent Yamaha factory visit to Yamaha's US headquarters left tongues wagging that no mater the reported reason--that Crutchlow needed rest--that the real reason is that he had decided to leave Yamaha.

This is a true fork in the road for Crutchlow's MotoGP career. The choice was a bike capable of winning with a supposed $300,000 salary, or a big paycheck and an equally big question mark.

Crutchlow chose Ducati and a big payday.

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

HAHAHAHA

"The Desmosedici is the bike that destroyed the morale of Italian legend Valentino Rossi..."

not only rossi's morale down to the lowest limit, his ass shattered like shredder paper. LOL.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Ducati have another rider who is prepared to try.

And he's English! This sounds like a reason to celebrate with a street party or maybe a commemorative plate.

Unfortunately a quick scroll down reveals the standard English slagging on any hope let alone our only hope (in 2013/14 at least), nice one fellas, you make me proud to be English. I suspect 99% of you have not offered one second to your country on any level too you idle (and scared) fuckwits.

Anyway, bikes, I too believe this is a good move for Calvin, and he had a choice, a unique situation for a new Ducati rider? The bike will come good, it has no choice, Gobmeier has been in place long enough to see what's what for himself and what needs to be done is probably already decided, I don't doubt it will happen.

Ducati now have two factory riders prepared to graft despite the realisation that the bike is more of a beast than it looks and both have a point to prove, they seemed perfect (on track) teamates to me last time as they rode around on each other's back wheels for large parts of the season. I can't wait to see the fruits born of Bologna and if they bring an English winner I can't wait to read the posts.

As for Rossi, add two fully fit Spaniards and you'd see his real results.

P.S Wosi, Giacomo Agostini? Ring any bells?

Reply to this Topic
rocketri17

May 12

rocketri17 says:

i would also like

to see Nicky on a tech 3 bike, but sadly it will not happen :-( 

Reply to this Topic
ambushed61

Nov 10

ambushed61 says:

Money talks I guess , should cover the cost of the new leathers he'll go through next year .

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Huglean...

"when Dovi jumped on it when we realised that actually Rossi was pretty quick on a turd that changed every week."

... & Cal is as quick as, if not quicker than, Rossi, but is riding a satellite bike for a fraction of the money... on that scale he should be as good on the Ducati as Rossi ever was... let's hope his youth & no-fear attitude enable him to do better.

Northstar - "If you fail in a 'Works Team' were do you go after here?"

Back to Yamaha?

Chris313 - "Ducati wouldnt listen to Rossi & JB when they told them to get rid of the understeer they needed to change the 90 degree engine to a 60 degree engine for better weight distribution"

Then they found out that that was exactly the configuration Honda was using for what some were calling the best bike on the grid & the conversation went quiet (actually, as said, I don't think they called for this at all... but I may be wrong).

Wosi - "a rider who has little technical understanding and shit feedback..."

Who was it said "It is very difficult to say. Unfortunately I am not an engineer and I don't know." ? Brilliant display of technical understanding & superb feedback eh?

I hope Cal can ride it... unfortunately I thought that about Rossi, Dovi & Iannone when they started too... the odds are stacked against him. Good luck to him.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices