You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 1997 CB500 rear brakes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

entus

Sep 11

entus says:

1997 CB500 rear brakes

I've just had a rear tyre fitted and replaced the rear pads and upon going for a ride today, there is a severe squeaking coming from the rear brakes which is more noticable at low speed i.e coming to a stop. Could this just be a lack of copper grease on the caliper sliders or possibly a badly aligned rear wheel? Any ideas folks?
Cheers.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 August 2013 22:24)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CB 500 1997

Hi Entus

Hmm bit confused with your post:wacko:you say things like ''rear pads?'' and ''caliper sliders?'' the thing is unless i'm wrong? but the Honda CB 500 twin never had a rear brake caliper until year 2001-2 so as you can see my confusion.So if it's a hub rear brake (as i suspect it is if it's a 97?)the i would say this is down to lazy tyre fitters not blowing out the brake dust in the hub and blowing the dust off the brake shoes before refitting?.Once the dust has been disturbed it can get between the shoes and liner causing these squeaking and moaning sounds(if they where worth there salt they would clean the brake hub,inspect it and let you know how much wear there is,and if you need a shoe replacement)  .Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

KCMC

It's definitely disc. I'll try stripping it today and giving everything a good clean. Any more ideas?
Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Cleaning

Should sort it, give the pad faces a light scrub with a bit of wet/dry emery paper/cloth as there may be a little contamination on them. Greasing the caliper piston may well help too as it may not be retracting properly. Strictly speaking the only grease you should use to do that is a silicon or other rubber friendly grease compound (copper grease is slightly abrasive due to the copper content apparantly) but hey, doesn't seem to have caused many people probs in't past!

Best of luck gettin it sorted:smile

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

Thanks folks

for the replies. Stripped the lot down earlier and got a tin of brake cleaner, cleaned it all off, applied copper grease to all the moving parts (apart from the piston, it looked ok) and put it back together. It seems ok so far, everything freed up and moving nicely and the noise has gone. I think there was a bit of crap stopping the caliper sliders moving properly.
Once again. thanks for the replies.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Sorry

for the poor info,it seems that the model change you enjoyed back in 1997 didn't reach these shores until 2001(bit more backward here down under:wacko:)

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

Got it

through the MOT today, 2 minutes ride from my house. On the way back it started again so I stripped them again. Amatuercynic, it looks like it was crap on the piston. I removed it this time and there was a lump of crap on it about 3-4mm wide. Unfortunatley, I think one of the seals needs replacing too as it's not round anymore so it's looking like a new set of seals.
Thanks again for the replies folks.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices