Skip to content

Discuss This Silverstone WSB: Sofuoglu battles to controversial supersport win World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Silverstone WSB: Sofuoglu battles to controversial supersport win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Silverstone WSB: Sofuoglu battles to controversial supersport win

Kawasaki rider Kenan Sofuogolu won the World Supersport race at Silverstone after a race long battle with Sam Lowes, which saw the two riders collide on the final lap. Sofuoglu's Kawasaki was visibly faster than the Yamaha of Lowes, but Lowes made his move in to first on the final lap. Sofuoglu looked to cut straight back and mvoed up the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 August 2013 14:43)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bullshrimp

Apr 13

Bullshrimp says:

Bit of a harsh move...

...from Sofuoglu but can't help thinking if it had been another rider it would probably have just gone down as a 'racing incident'. He can be overly aggressive at times but I genuinely believe Sam can beat him to the title this year. He just needs to remain focused and not let incidents like this get to him.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

More than harsh - more or less deliberately knocked him off in my opinion. Hopefully the officials will decide the same, but in the interests of keeping the championship alive, they might not. Sam will win it regardless. 

Reply to this Topic
Bullshrimp

Apr 13

Bullshrimp says:

IBTH...

...Apparently Yakhnich did protest but it was thrown out.

http://www.crash.net/world+supersport/news/194253/1/yakhnich_protest_against_sofuoglu_thrown_out.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

How racing should be tbh, no stupid rules like F1 and we need tough exciting bikers who bash into each other and take risks. 

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

Good rider

Sam Lowes has demonstated this season that he has what it takes to become an alien. he has matured from a quick rider who crashed alot into a quick rider who uses his brain. The crash was a racing inccident and if it had been the other way round no one would have complained. What impressed me was Sams presence of mind to hang onto the bike when he went down, keep it running and still finish 2nd. would like to see Sam on a WSB bike or MOTOGP2 bike next season. Really nice gesture of Sam to stop and acknowledge the fans before he entered the pits after he finished the race

Reply to this Topic
Bullshrimp

Apr 13

Bullshrimp says:

Ratchetman...

This picture shows the move was a tad harsh.

twitter.com/SamLowes11/status/364102477898997760/photo/1

While Herve Poncharal has admitted that Sam is in contention for a Moto2 ride at his team next year, shame their bike is currently not very good though.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23505530

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I'd like to see an aerial shot

of the collision. Very hard to say from the outside shot on the tv, but my feeling as an ex-racer is that superglue's move could only ever have resulted in a crash. In other words it was never intended to be an overtaking manoeuvre.

To me there's racing, and there's hard racing, and then there's knocking your opponent off/forcing your opponent to crash, which is neither racing nor the act of a sportsman. If everybody acted that way it would be a demolition derby and not a sport of skill. The twatter pics only seem to back this up.

Reply to this Topic
Bullshrimp

Apr 13

Bullshrimp says:

No aerial shot....

...but have a look at this:

www.youtube.com/watch

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Yeah, that pretty much confirms it

for me. I'm amazed there was no penalty for this, but thats life I spose. I have no doubt that Sam will only be spurred on by it and put superglue in his rightful place (second) at the remaining rounds.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Agree Supermario and as another ex-racer. If you are thirty points or whatever behind then obviously knocking someone off becomes very tempting to certain personaiity types and bike racing is certainly dangerous enough without having bikes "bashing into each other" for entertainment.  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices