Skip to content

Ask an Expert What to get next post R1?? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > What to get next post R1??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andylanc1975

Aug 13

andylanc1975 says:

What to get next post R1??

Hi there,

I'm currently riding a 2005 R1, but with age and waistline both getting bigger as well as a dodgy back, the daily commute (albeit only 10 miles) is becoming a chore. I also volunteer for the local bloodbike group and the R1 doesn't exactly provide many bungee points!

I've got a budget of about £5,000 to throw at a preferably a 4 - 5 year old machine. I'd like to stay with a big bike, but with a more upright seating position. My other half is also now keen to join me on rides out, and the R1 wasn't exactly designed with that in mind!

My current thinking is a Sprint ST 1050, Honda CBF1000 or maybe a VFR800 V-TEC? 

What do people recommend?

Many thanks for any responses

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 260 days ago (07 August 2013 13:44)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

A little bit more?

and you could ave the best of both worlds, a commute, pillion friendly bimble bike and a Weekend play thing :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

How about

Suzuki GSX1250FA or Fazer 1000?

Reply to this Topic
andylanc1975

Aug 13

andylanc1975 says:

brrraaaappppp!!!

Oooh, cheers Preunit, I hadn't considered a KTM :biggrin: Might have to do some research as to running costs for one of them. Cheers fella

Reply to this Topic
andylanc1975

Aug 13

andylanc1975 says:

More food for thought

Cheers AdieR, I've absolutely no idea why I haven't looked at the Fazer... I'm Yamaha mad, so why didn't it even appear on my radar??? :wacko:

The 'zuki, I don't think I found any within my budget? Certainly not around the North West (which is where I'm based).

Reply to this Topic
andylanc1975

Aug 13

andylanc1975 says:

that's a large pipe!!!!

Just had a look at the 'zuki and I remembered another reason why it didn't get very far on my list... that's one mother chuffing large can on the side of it! I'd be scared to go round a right hand bend in case it pulled the whole bike down

Reply to this Topic
Polar1

Aug 13

Polar1 says:

Same choice

I am also between an ST or VFR800 for £5000 but can't find much info to help my decision.

Although for a daily commute ST has better MPG I believe.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

after an R1

The CBF is a bit low-budget and you’d really feel it after the multi-adjustable R1. The VFR is a solid bike, but the design is a bit long in the tooth these days and the power is way off an R1, so I think you’d be disappointed.

If it was my money I’d look at a BMW K1200S first-up. The shaft-drive bike often comes with plenty of spec like heated grips, electronic suspension and fitted luggage, and the missus will be comfortable on it too.

A Triumph Sprint ST will run it close as it’s a newer design with a lovely engine that’s an aural treat. It’s a tall bike though and the pillion accommodation isn’t as good as the Beemer. But like the Beemer it’ll often have panniers or a top box fitted.

There’s also an old-school missile like the Kawasaki ZZ-R1400 to consider, it’s still an awesome bike, fast and more comfortable than a Busa or a Blackbird.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle