You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > New penalties

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jrk1985

Sep 11

jrk1985 says:

New penalties

Hiya folks just looking for for clarification about filltering with these knew rules coming in for lane hoggers,tailgaiters and queue jumpers are the police going to start handing out fines and points to bikers for filtering ?:dopeyhmmmm: 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 352 days ago (14 August 2013 01:03)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yappaty

May 05

yappaty says:

Just what I was going to ask as well...

The wording seems to be "Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic", which sounds exactly like some of the filtering I do in London (although not in an agressive way).
I suppose it depends on the prejudice of the officer involved.  Lucky that PCSOs can't issue them.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

Filtering is when the traffic is stop.

Over taking is when the cars are moving 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

New penalties.

According to the Highway Code you can filter in slow-moving traffic, and I certainly have. Elsewhere I've read that a 15mph differential is acceptable but it's likely to be down to interpretation, so jrk1985 and yappaty make a good point. However, this "new" edict from the government isn't really new and there are no police patrols anyway. It seems more like a toothless reminder to motorists. Driving while using a mobile phone is prohibited yet I see it all the time. Deputise me!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

I swear

James600zx is correct.Who`s going to enforce these rules? 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

bmwgs

you can "overtake" stationary cars..

you can "filter" past moving traffic..

Filtering is when you're passing through the smaller spaces that others can't, it doesn't matter whether those holes in the traffic are stationary or not, it's still filtering.

Filtering almost always involves overtaking, but overtaking doesn't necessarily involve filtering...

Reply to this Topic
stbrewer

Aug 13

stbrewer says:

Not sure if this helps but....

Here's me wading into the arguement I've just read an article published by ACIC. In the article dealing with a claim by a widow of a motorcyclist who died in a RTC an Arbitrator had this to say...

The Arbitrator found both issues in favour of the Claimant agreeing with the following arguments:

Mr Y was probably proceeding, lawfully and within or at the speed limit, in the middle of his 
lane. Even if he was filtering, that is lawful and indeed expected of motorcyclists.

http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/cases/1025-million-for-widow-of-motorcyclist---13-august-2013

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices