Skip to content

Discuss This New on-the-spot fines introduced General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New on-the-spot fines introduced

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

New on-the-spot fines introduced

Fixed penalties for careless or inconsiderate driving came into effect today with mobile phone use and middle lane hogging among a series of offences which will bring an increased fine of £100. Other offences covered in what has been described as the biggest shake-up in road policing in 40 years include tailgating, failing to give way at a junction, overtaking and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 August 2013 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
adie150268

Sep 10

adie150268 says:

on the spot fines

And they think flash for cash is new. 

Reply to this Topic
Matthew1971

Nov 12

Matthew1971 says:

I all for giving fines to middle lane hoggers...

Ive driven (in the car) from London M1 to Birmingham at 2am and seen first hand many third and middle lane hoggers, just no excusses when theres no other traffic on the road...

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Roundabouts

"being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout"

All well and good when the destinations are posted clearly 7 early.  Number of roundabouts you see with worn off road markings and bad signage such as hidden behind foliage etc.  I bet plod just sit near one of these and hand out £100 fines like they're going out of fashion.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Will it make any difference?

I really hope this does make a difference on our roads, but I really can't see it due to the lack of police patrols nowadays. It's great if you want to go fast on the motorway, but not when you come across a plonker driving in the middle lane at 2am!

I live in hope...

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Mr cynical

We're all perfect? No, how long before the many and increasing cameras monitoring our roads are used to catch a unwary moment, which we've all had.
How many times have you been in a strange area/city looking for your destination and unwittingly broken a minor rule.
Cynical money raising is behind this. Anyone older remember the days when you could go out and not be monitored/checked on by the powers that be.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Question

Has anyone actually found the legislation that introduces "on the spot fines" (by any description) for British residents?  All I can see is a chain of amendments to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 via the Road Safety Act 2006, the Road Safety (Financial Penalty Deposit) Order 2009 and Road Safety (Financial Penalty Deposit) (Appropriate Amount) (Amendment) Order 2013, none of which allow for Dibble to ask a British resident for a penny "on the spot".  And coppers have never been able to levy a "fine" for anything, which is as it should be.

I rather suspect that the headline should be "FPN bribes to double, Careless and Inconsiderate driving can now be dealt with by FPN bribe or Kitten Awareness Course rather than summons, which is a net benefit to drivers".

What that prat Hammond seems to have missed is that since we still retain the option of saying "Shove your bribe, I'll see you in court" that Dibble's recording of the "offence" and preparation of the prosecution case will take up exactly as much time as it always has.

So I wouldn't expect any actual change in road policing, beyond a token rash of well publicised early cases.

Reply to this Topic
Big Bry 51

May 08

Big Bry 51 says:

Increased Fines.

Quote "The new rules have followed a consultation period and it’s hoped they can increase the chances of the police being able to get an offence to stick as it won’t have to go to court with all of the associated paperwork; a key reason many were never taken any further".

To get an offence to stick, means getting people to accept a ticket on what could well be dodgy evidence or purely an Officers own opinion, hoping that we cant afford our a day in court.

The lack of Traffic Officers is being responded to by the use of the ever increasing camera technology, ANPR, Ave Speed Cams etc. Soon all you will get is a ticket in the post and if you pay up in 28 days they will knock a few quid off.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for road safety but I see this idea could be flawed once PIs come in to play (performance indicators) that are measured by not how many accidents have you prevented today but by how many tickets you have doshed out for the treasury.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Indirect Taxation

Yet more 'Big Brother' brother and 'Nanny State' dictats introduced by the UK government via their masters in the Brussels politburo, and of course a rise in the fines metered out, as a form of indirect taxation, due to the country being £trillions in debt to the Banksters,  If you want more of the same keep voting for the  LIB/LAB/CON.  

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Some sensible points on this page . Much better thought -out than the change in the laws themselves . Most of the change will probably not effect motorcyclists , but you can bet the police will try to "bend" the laws to make them fit some biker habits . Take ,pushing -in OR in the wrong lane,  will this effect us "trickling" in heavy traffic or between lanes on dual carriageways ? . I admit I do it ,but only when it's safe  and do it slow & nip into large gaps left by drivers . We all know car owners [including the police ] hate the practice , and we have all been passed ,or seen idiots being silly missing door mirrors by inches and forcing the way to the front ,to blast -away just a few yards to the next stoppage ,to do it all again . No doubt  if  the laws & fines are a success more of the same will follow ,no matter who we vote for - and  in the E.U. or out ! .  

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

It would be a good idea but the Government have failed to realise there aren't any Police to catch them. It's just like the seat belt laws and mobile phone use while driving. People still do it because they can get away with it.

No amount of legislation will make it wrong unless there is sufficient manpower (personpower is probably more correct in this age of sexual equality) to apprehend and prosecute the offenders.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices