You are in... Forums > General > General > Repair Help Please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

naison82083

Aug 13

naison82083 says:

Repair Help Please

I am noticing a metallic sounding pinging/rattling coming from the lower rear when I change gears, accelerate or brake.

I have a 97 katana 600. The bike was sitting for 2 months due to repairs to fuel line. It is now running and the noise just started. I removed all fairings and replaced, they are all well secure. The chain seems like it has a lot of give. I can lift lower part of chain about 4 inches. Would that be the problem? Or possibly something else? Best way to fix problem?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 August 2013 03:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hi Naison82083 and welcome to the site :-)

Flippin heck mate,4 inches movement on the chain:shock:,its a wonder it isn't dragging on the floor,think you might need to do some research before doing anymore repairs to your bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4DsHV8SAQ

Check the top of this page common service manual

Check this out,good luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

best way to fix problem ???

if you've got 4" of travel on your chain I wouldn't even bother to tighten it up because it sounds like its fooked ..

get a new chain & sprocket kit . that should fettle it :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

get a new chain.

mate of mine left and left his chain.

till the fooker snapped at 80mph+ causing exstensive damage to the bike coming off and then snaked down the road almost taking me with it!:mad:

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Even a small amount

of slack on the TDM Mr BB bought a few weeks ago was enough to make a noise. New chain and sprockets was the first job, goodness knows what 4 inches would sound like:shock:

Naison yes as all others have said replace ASAP and hopefully all will be well again:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
shaunthesheep52

Dec 12

4 FUCKIN INCHES ????????

CHRIST !!!! i wish me dick was that long ...... FFS get a new one c@s .... ya fuckin cheap skate / bullshit merchant 

Reply to this Topic
naison82083

Aug 13

naison82083 says:

Thanks All

Thanks for the help all. Obviously im a new owner and after seeing the instructional video i see that my bike has a major problem that I will fix ASAP.  

Was wondering how hard is it to replace the chain/sprocket yourself or should I take it into a mechanic. I like doing things myself and getting the experience but i understand that somethings you just dont mess with and motorcycles are much finer tuned than cars.

(I have replaced clutches, engine mounts, flywheels, rebuild top end of motor on cars so Im fairly competent but i understand bikes are a whole other beast)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

mate......

Reckon if you can't tighten the chain....... a simple job...... then a visit to a bike shop would be safer.....:mellow:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices