You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > FLAT BATTERY

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

HAYLEYB

Aug 13

HAYLEYB says:

FLAT BATTERY

I have a Yamaha XJ6 which is only 3 uears old and only has 3500 miles on the clock.  I am not able to ride it very offen so consequently it is left in the garage for 2 - 3 months at a time.  I went to take it out at the weekend and I think the battery is flat at when I turned the key there was nothing.  Can I jump start it from a car or another bike and is it likely to be the battery as it is relatively new :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 August 2013 11:27)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Flat battery

I would not recommend that you use a car battery as this may damage the electrics in your bike.  Either use another bike to jump start it or charge your battery.  An intelligent charger will let you know what state your batter is in.  Even if it has completely discharged a good charger will probably recover it if it is fairly new.

If your bike has an alarm this will not help your problem and you may need to leave the battery connected to a charger when not in use.    

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

I have jumped started my bike a bmw r100gs off a car when I could not start it after work one night the bike start fine and will runs fine.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

battery myths

You can jump start your bike from a lorry battery if you want. A 12volt battery is just a 12volt battery, no matter how big it is.

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

There was a warning...

in an article about batteries in MCN or some other bike mag about jump starting bikes from car batteries.I seem to recall the possibility of frying your ECU.Get a smart charger,much cheaper than a new ECU.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Flat battery

BM's take a lot of cranking and I am sure that starting an 1100GS from a car would cause no issues.  I jumped my GS1000 from a car more than once back in the day.  However, modern electrics are very different and I am sure that a car battery connected to my 1200RT would make a right (expensive) mess of the can-bus electrical system.  I personally wouldn't risk it on an XJ either.  It's not just a case of volts, it the amperage that can cause the damage.

It may be OK, it may not but what is the point in risking it for the sake of the cost of a charger or finding another bike to connect jump leads to?      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Batteries

Fogie's right, the amperage is just a measure of what's available. The system will only draw what it needs. 

Reply to this Topic
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Optimate 4 / Can-bus

I have a flat battery on my bike which i,ve charged twice now and i,m going to fit a new battery next week and get an optimate 4 charger so i can leave it connected when i,m not using it. The new optimate 4 is can-bus compatable but what is it.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Jump start

As long as the two batteries are 12v it'll be fine.

I've jump started a motorcycle from a car several times. In theory if the car engine is running, its alternator can push more current than is healthy for the bike but I had no problems. These days I would make sure the car isn't running. It's not necessary anyway.

The manual for the aforementioned BMW 1200RT only requires that the donor vehicle has a 12v battery (page 134) but interestingly it suggests that you should "run the engine of the donor vehicle during jump starting."  Still, I wouldn't.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Ginelli...

I use an optimate, great product, don't worry all summer when bike being used regualrly, but leave plugged in all winter when only using every couple of weeks. Cost me about £45 a few years ago

Can bus compatible, means (I think) it doesn't screw up your ECU or fully integrated intelligent wiring loom

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Ginelli...

I use an optimate, great product, don't worry all summer when bike being used regualrly, but leave plugged in all winter when only using every couple of weeks. Cost me about £45 a few years ago

Can bus compatible, means (I think) it doesn't screw up your ECU or fully integrated intelligent wiring loom

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices