You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > PARTS ROBBED

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

PARTS ROBBED

I have a kawasaki 500s gpz which was registered mid 1994 in malaysia.It has had the cdi and starter coils "removed " by some kind person.
I have been quoted almost 400 gbp for the cdi alone from a UK dealer.
I gave the chassis and engine numbers - ex599ae142239,ex500d-008264
model ex 500e
I asked them the question but did not receive a answer.
Is my bike the 93 or 94 year model and do I have to fit a part with a relevant part number- OR WILL ANY  500s cdi and starter coils fit  and work ok?
All I got back was the price of  new ones- which I am reluctant to pay.
I have seen cdi,s advertised secondhand for around 40- 50 gbp which is more in my budget ( I,m retired )
Can you help ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 August 2013 08:42)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki (EX)GPZ 500S-R

Hi 08bobT and welcome to the site :smile

Don't get too hung up on these parts and year,this engine has been around for years and the CDI and coils of all of them will fit and run your bike(1987 to 2009) . ER-5,KLE 500 will also work(as there the same engine)so find the cheapest late CDI and coils off any of these models and your home free(converting bucks to pounds i would say,£30 a pair of coils,and £50 for a CDI would be a fair price on ebay or a breakers)Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

gr8 news !

thanks- thats great !

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

new tyres req,d

Any thoughts on what tyres and sizes  for my gpz 500s would be suitable for the weather conditions here.  very hot- up to 35c,humid and can change from hot n sunny to torrential rain in no time at all ! bikes use is touring- mainly around the island. Are tyres all tubeless these days or whats best ?
Bought all of my parts off ebay as previously suggested ( came over for two weeks hol ). thanks in anticipation.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hi again 08bobT

It is said Bridgestone BT 45,s are the only way to go?

Good Luck

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

tyres

thanks- just hope I can get them here !

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

BRAKES

The gpz 500 s on 94v registration has the twin disc brake set up ( far east model). As it has been standing idle for the past four years all the seals within the master cylinder and brake caliper assemblys etc are virtually destroyed.
I could get seal kits- but as these parts are 20 years old will new seals do the job ( corrosion/wear n tear etc )can parts off a later model kawasaki fit such as the Z750? I,m reasonably sure that a master cylinder would be easy enough but what about the brake calipers ?
Your advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated !

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1994

Hi again 08bobT

Think if this was me i would be purchasing a good second hand one of ebay if you don't have any motor cycle breakers in Malay?think with the high humidity in your country you could have a higher corrosion rate with water being absorbed into the brake fluid? so corroding from the inside out thats as a guess,seems logical.Good Luck

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices