Skip to content

Discuss This Panigale 899 spied testing New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Panigale 899 spied testing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Panigale 899 spied testing

A test and development version of the new Ducati Panigale 899 has been spotted parked on an Italian street just weeks ahead of the official launch of the bike. The bike is a smaller capacity version of the Panigale 1199 and can be seen have a series of changes over the bigger bike as the Italian firm has cut development costs...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 August 2013 09:52)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Interesting bike but.....

Yet again a joke that this is some sort of spy shot. Who leaves a "secret" prototype unattended in a back alley to be at best photographed, at worst vandalised or stolen. Answer: No one! Ever!

Should be a great bike & I'd consider buying it over the 1199 (if I could afford anything!) I've always prefered Ducati's smaller versions of their range topping sports bikes like the 748/9 & 848 etc. They just seem more accessable on every level IMO.

Reply to this Topic
peld

Aug 13

peld says:

still amazed, especially now Audi own Ducati, they havent taken a Monster 696/796 engine (even the complete bike), designed a Panigale/848-esque fairing for it and added some comfortable bars - essentially a Ducati ER6F or CBR600FA - they'd sell by the bucketload. Ducati looks and style but practical at a sensilble price.

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

RageRider

Admire your faith in motorcycle firms being a lot more organised but I am afraid you are way wide of the mark in many circumstances.

I have lost count of the number of times we have managed to get hold of spy shots of bikes being ridden on the road, parked at at McDonald's, getting fuel, riding along a mountain pass in front of tourists with cameras...the list goes on and on. The easiest ones are when they just ride out of the factory on the way to a test route.

With so many people having cameras attached to them at all times with their phones and constantly connected the number of spy shots seems to be increasing. Which is good for MCN!!

Kind regards

Andy Downes

MCN Senior Reporter

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

New Ducati 899

The photo was taken in Lucca, Italy ( allegedly ):ph43r:, The photo does seem to be the real deal, the original that was floated a few days ago looked to be taken by ph.

Anyway, I had the 749s, now and 848 Its a fab fab bike. ( only draw back is small tank ). Its comfy too. This new 899 will have to be the 848 at its own game. Could be hard.

The swingarm, it was only gonna be that way above, not single sided.Cheaper (?) and probably more stable if the engine is indeed the stressed member.

@ Andy Downs:I look forward to the 749s v 848 v 899 in an MCN group test ( be first to do it ).:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

@AndyDownes

I'll bow your undoubtedly greater knowledge on this subject but I just presumed the test rider, on instruction from Ducati, had hopped off to take a picture and then they intentionally cirulated it online to get the publicity mill rolling etc.

I don't doubt your right and that prototypes are easy enough to photograph but I'm shocked they would genuinely leave a prototype (apparently unlocked) in a back alley as is claimed in the above article. You wouldn't do that with your old banger bike in case it went walkies let alone a prototype surely?

I guess they are Italians though so anything is possible ; )

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Like it much

Given the options since way back when,I always preferred the 750SS over the 900SS,(I'm talking towershaft and bevel gear drive Desmo's),the 500 Pantah over the 600,the 748R over the 998R,the 848 over the 1098 and now the supersquare junior Panigalle. Within the framework of the belt driven 2 valve twins,the 900 Superlight is/was an absolute peach. It's junior 750SS version was seriously underpowered. The Superlight's 851 running gear was also vastly superior to JNR.

As with anything Ducati,you had to maintain it rather meticulously. The junior kits revved very smoothly,almost turbinelike aka Jap 4,but provided great,predictable bottom end grunt.

Reply to this Topic
kevinschwantz

Sep 10

Ducati "Minigale 899"

I hope this "minigale" will be a great bike. The worry to me is that from the pictures it looks like 1199 meets 696, the dual swinging arm was perhaps left with the 999/749 (great bikes though). If this is Audi trying to do a Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda exercise then, I am not sure this will work, it just seems to lack a bit of presence, Ducati's need a strong identity, but in the flesh it may well be stunning! In terms of managing the production brand, well so far so good Audi !  

Reply to this Topic
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

swingarm

maybe I have no taste, but I think that swingarm looks fantastic, now if only my bank account would stretch!

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

899 Mini Me...

A mini Panigale for the masses ey?

I suppose it depends on pricing. The absence of an SSS (single sided swingarm), is a disappointment,

but the double sided version shown in above picture seems a lot better than the disastrous specimen the late 999/749 bikes sported in the early days.

It is strange but the bike suits either version.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

why???

would anybuddy buy that knowing its bigger brother sucks big time.

The swing-arm look dumb too. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices