Skip to content

Discuss This New MCN August 21st: Has Cal made the right move? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New MCN August 21st: Has Cal made the right move?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New MCN August 21st: Has Cal made the right move?

In this week's MCN paper, available in newsagents, on iPad and Android from August 21st: - Cal: Has he made the right move? The inside story- The Danger Issue - celebrating the scariest bikes and races- New Bikes Galore: Water-cooled Harleys and power-packed new Ducati Diavel- Ulster GP Special: Hat-trick hero Guy Martin seals 2014 deal- Indy MotoGP Special - Marquez...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 365 days ago (20 August 2013 11:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

Yes

Of course he has, he has made the right decision for him, as yet very few people know what deal has been struck, what salary he will be on & what the bike he will be riding will be like, it was the only factory contract on offer to him so he had little choice anyway.

None of us know what tomorrow may bring for any of us, a severe illness, an accident going too or at work, whatever, Cal had to go for the best deal he got offered & obviously he feels he has, we are no different & if a company approached me to do a similar job for double the money i'd sign up there & then to help provide for & safeguard the ones i love.

I honestly wish him all the best of luck & hope & pray Ducati do something special regarding a new bike.

Reply to this Topic
onearmedbandit

Aug 07

Ducati MotoGP

Why are Ducati messing around with all these bum riders when the legendary Steve Rose is available. He's the greatesat rider in the world, at least in his head.

Reply to this Topic
ahg196

Feb 04

ahg196 says:

Absolutely yes. For starters he's going to be getting paid a decen salary, he'll get a nice paginale for his garage, and those boys at Ducati will give him whatever he wants to progress. In many ways cal is the perfect man for the job. He's proven he can learn; coming from a superbike background hasn't phased him, he's a hard charger and that suits the custom, and I think he fancies a go on the duke. I wish him all the best, and I reckon he'll know a thing or two about whether the decision s right for him. Racers use their gut instinct more than they realise. 

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Win - Win

Cal said he would never get a full factory ride on the Yamaha with Jorge and Valentino being the current riders. Taking his age into account he'd most likely be considered too old when a berth eventually becomes available.

Taking a factory Ducati and no doubt a decent salary is a much better option than a safe ride for another year with Tech Trois. If he has success then he'll be a hero, if he doesn't he'll be no worse than Valentino, Nicky or Dovi and he'll be a good deal richer. 

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

He's obviously got the ability, I just hope Ducati give him a bike that allows him to use his skills to the full. I just happen to already have BT cable broadband too so I will be watching him next year and hoping for the best. Good luck Cal!

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

He has made the best decision,,,,financially.

Reply to this Topic
kfisher33

Aug 13

kfisher33 says:

my best friend's aunt makes $66/hr on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her pay was $18406 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site....WWW.ℛush64.COℳ

Reply to this Topic
mchale2020

Apr 12

mchale2020 says:

Tuning Forks

I think Cal made the right, albeit tough, decision. Yamaha has Marc Marquez fever right now and is desperate to cultivate talent from Moto2 into their TechIII GP team. Cal deserves a factory ride, but his age and racing background didn't put him in favor with Yamaha's desires at the moment for fielding future factory racers. From what the articles say, even Herve at TechIII said Cal needed to move up to a factory seat. The decision to switch to Ducati makes sense, but now the spotlight needs to be shifted away from Cal and onto the Bologna team's engineering talent to see if they can get a competitive machine out by 2014 at the absolute soonest. 

Cal, Andrea, and Nicky all have the potential to be fast given proper equipment, but how Ducati chooses in developing the machine is what will decide how and when they will or will not be competitive. As a fan of the racers and the factories, I intepret that as a monumental challenge for Ducati.

I think Cal's situation prior to signing with Ducati and not knowing if he would even have a ride for next year illustrates an issue in MotoGP at the moment. There is not enough supply of fast bikes to field all the competitive racers wanting to compete in GP, and so there is an air of uncertainity that benefits no one, except maybe for Honda and Yamaha, who have monopolized the decision entirely of who gets to ride a machine that can score a podium. What makes the situation worse is the possiblity of refugees from WSBK looking for a ride as its condition degrades by each negative announcement  we have heard thus far. 

Also, Bradley Smith is really doing well for his first year on the M1. His steady stream of improvements this season shouldn't be overshadowed by Cal's departure or Pol's arrival.

Reply to this Topic
lisa7676

Aug 13

lisa7676 says:

my best friend's half-sister makes $79 every hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for eight months but last month her check was $21891 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more...>>

W­W­W.C­N­N­3­2.C­O­M

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

As long as

Ducati pays Crutchlow more than the $69/hour he could make on the Internet, he made the correct choice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices