Skip to content

Discuss This Road closed to bikes only near Ace Café General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Road closed to bikes only near Ace Café

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Road closed to bikes only near Ace Café

A local council has banned just motorcycles using a road near the famous Ace Café in North London as part of a six-week trial following months of complaints about anti-social riding and racing on the road. Brent council has now banned motorcycles from Rainsford Road after a number of complaints about dangerous riding and large groups of bystanders. The ban has...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 340 days ago (20 August 2013 11:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Legal?

How can this be legal? You can justify a weight limit or a height limit but how do you justify banning Motorcycles?

OK it won't effect me but I'm curious how the council think they have this power, can they ban horses and dog walkers if they recieved enough complaints.

Surely this is a matter of enforcement, those that aren't breaking the law should not be stopped, those who are tossers should be educated, also can we ban Nova's, Discos and Tractors they are dangerous to other drivers.

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

Fascist dictatorship

It's great living in a free country! You can laugh or call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. This is the start of an outright ban on motorcycling. Authorities don't want bikers around because they are free thinkers not sheep to the establishment, although they are fast becoming that way. I bet there won't be a single protest. Britain is less free now than East Germany was under communism. And why? Because we all sit back and let it happen!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Yes, it's legal

Councils do have the authorotah to prohibit specific classes of traffic from roads, with a proper Traffic Order.

I'm not entirely clear on what specific offence you'd be committing by ignoring the Order, mind.

Section 59, by the way, is an abhorent travesty of justice that is already abused and should be drowned in the bath.

Reply to this Topic
Stu749s

Oct 07

Stu749s says:

Rubbish

I have worked in this area for 9 years and have never seen any dangerous biking activities.  Also, it is one big industrial estate, and used to Europe's largest, with no housing within miles.

And whilst we are on the subject of the hospital, IF this is one of the dangerous roads Brent council are concerned about then why is the A&E department being closed down?  Valid question?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Little update

I can't find any existing definition of motorcycles (and peds?) as a "class" of traffic.  I mention peds as motor cycles under 50cc are explicitly a different "class" by the definitions in Highways Act 1980 Schedule 4.

Also, I also can't find any current valid traffic sign - defined by regulations - prohibiting acess to just motorcycles (and peds).  That means that that the signage will need specific authority from the Secretary of State for Transport.  Sadly, the current incumbent appears to be anti-bike, but until and unless such a sign is authorised, it's not valid and has no more authority than a "No slags in 4x4s" sign that you or I might put up.

Reply to this Topic
Leonard1

Aug 13

Leonard1 says:

Traffic Signs

I don't live anywhere near here but I have a "no motorcycle" sign near me so I got curious about this. On checking up on it there is a sign for it. Its on page 17 of the link below. Don't know if it makes it legal though but if there is a sign it could easily be legal unfortunately.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191955.pdf

Reply to this Topic
GeffHDRT

Aug 13

GeffHDRT says:

Legal of not this is stupid and illogical. All that was needed was to enforce the existing road regulations. A speed camera would have done that easily. Instead they now have new regulations that will need to be enforced. It was enforcement that was lacking before so how do they think they have improved anything? They say traffic calming measures were the only other option. that's rubbish too. A speed camera or police presence would have been the two best options.

Reply to this Topic
AndyPagin

Aug 13

AndyPagin says:

Anyone know where you can view the traffic order? Can't find anything on Brents website.

Reply to this Topic
Leonard1

Aug 13

Leonard1 says:

When it was enforced near me it was the mere presence of your bike that attracted the fine - could be travelling perfectly legally - and all done by cameras.  I avoided the area as wasn't worth the bother to me.

All the other measures cost money and this will generate money and that it is the long and the short of it. I could not find the order either but they must have a Highways Dept

Reply to this Topic
AndyPagin

Aug 13

AndyPagin says:

Unless I've misunderstood the map, I can see a small problem with this traffic order, according to the map Whitby Ave is one way towards Rainsford Road, so if for example a courier stopped to deliver something on Whitby Ave, he could only get out again by either breaking the traffic order or by riding the wrong way down a one way street!

Perhaps Brent have though of this and have a tax payer funded low loader on hand to provide a legal way of transporting the bike out again, or perhaps a constantly hovering Chinook with a suitable block & tackle?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices