Skip to content

Discuss This Doohan: No doubt Stoner would return at top MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Doohan: No doubt Stoner would return at top

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Doohan: No doubt Stoner would return at top

Five-time MotoGP world champion Mick Doohan reckons Casey Stoner would have slipped seamlessly back into winning contention had the Australian been returning to racing action in 2014. Stoner retired at the end of 2012 after winning two premier class titles, but he has constantly been linked with a future return. Stoner won’t be racing in MotoGP in 2014, but there are constant...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 183 days ago (24 January 2014 10:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Wosi

I've met many in my time that have chosen to change their lifestyle/career for the family. What's your beef with Casey doing similar though bud? 90% of his young life has been aboard a bike and he's reaped the rewards of his hard work and effort over the years. The man wants a change/break. Where's the problem in that?

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Nothing wrong..

..with the simple scenario you paint PC, but they're your words..not Stoners.

He didn't quit because of his wife and kid, did he?

Casey slammed the door with a face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle..

A big round of fk's and 2 fingers up to the sport..with a volley of typically confused contradictions. Smarting at perceived injustices. Moody, introspective and bitter.  

He didn't explain he was burnt-out and wanted a break to enjoy watching his little girl grow, to start walking & talking? To spend some quality time with his wife?

No..he burned bridges that will make it almost impossible to come back without answering some very awkward direct questions about EXACTLY WHAT has changed his mind.

Many people were perplexed and a little angry at the way he snubbed the game that allowed him to retire a wealthy young man at 26.

No class. Thick as two short planks. A proper bell-end..bit like most of his fans really.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

As far as I can ascertain Wosi

Stoner left the circus for two primary reason (not withstanding his family situation and dislike of the media side of the game).

1: The Rossi centric MotoGP beast that Uncle Carmelo cultivated.

2: CRT's and the then perception of most, that this was the direction MotoGP was headed.

Both points have been addressed. Carmelo's golden goose has turned into a barren ugly duckling, soon to be on his way out; and CRT's are on their way to being consigned to history as the budget factory bikes take hold. This makes the ground more receptive to a return. Despite their differences the hairy Spanish garden gnome would surely welcome Casey with open gorilla arms.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Funny how he was the only one in the paddock that was unable to cope with the situation - no one else was complaining.    Truth is - in spite of his outstanding talent as a racer he was a spoilt brat (that's down to his parents) and couldn't cope with not being able to get his own way with the system.   Family business is rubbish just an excuse to justify his fit of pique.

Reply to this Topic
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

FFS

The Rossi centric MotoGP beast that Uncle Carmelo cultivated

Give it up. The Rossi centric motogp "beast" was created by.... Rossi. You know, the guy that won all those races and titles, and did it all while appearing, for the most part, to have fun.

As for the bikes, nothing has changed. Zero. The factory bikes will win, the rest will be as you were. It was always a bulsh!t excuse from Casey to complain about the "dumbing down" of the sport while he sat there on the best, most advanced bike ever constructed.

Casey. I feel a bit sorry for him. Even though he's set for life, with the world at his feet he just doesn't know what to do, and still carries all that bitterness inside him. That'll eat you up you know.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Simple Nostro..

So he felt bullied by Rossi and quit, depite being the reigning WC and leading the standings when he finally spat the dummy at LeMans?

Imagine Lawson doing the same thing can we?..what about compatriot's Doohan & Gardner?

Open class bikes are NOT 'dumbed down'..?

RCVR's almost 2secs from the front and spec electronics?

I think you'll find there were a host of other muddled reasons too..Like him blaming Dorna for rule changes spoiling the sport, when it was his paymasters Honda who culled the competition.

Let's just magic up some investment from the money tree and put DePuniet - and everyone else - on leased(rigged) full-fat prototypes like they deserve, shall we? 

2009. Ducati. Sick-notes. Mystery illnesses. Leaks from HRC. Being a victim. etc. etc.?   

You carry on holding that candle Pal..my advice would be to buy an asbestos glove though.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Just conveying what I perceived to be his reasons

Not making excuses for him, they're his reasons.

At the time it looked like souped up Superbikes were going to be the way forward. Direction has changed a little (one of Carmelo's better moves) with the sport not being 'dumbed down' to that degree. Stoner has always maintained he wants to ride the nastiest, hairy chested bikes out there. What's your problem with that bedwetters?

Saturn you fuggin' fool. It's the Terrapin that was born with the silver spoon in his mouth, not Stoner. Go read Superbike Planet's caravan story again.

Doubter. Carmelo pamered his prized pooch throughout his career, just look at his damn fool announcement early in 2012 when he said 'Rossi will be on a competitive bike 2013' not to mention Wosi's rule changes designed for the impossible - make the Terrapin competitive. But nothing is coming from the Terrapins teets anymore. Carmelo's sucked them dry. But that's O.K for the hairy gnome, he's got a new nepthew now. Let's see how that pans out shall we.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Nostro

you fuggin' numpty  I'm not talking about material things plonker - there's other ways to spoil you kid.  Pulling him out of school because he was bullied - shame.  Dragging him half way across the world to chase a 'dream' (his or his father's) which lucky for him didn't end in abject failure.

He craved the adulation that Rossi has - ''I'm World Champion and I get boo'd. They don't love me''. Maybe in spite of the success he bitterly resents the manner in which it came about.

My old man god rest his soul said to me when I was being bullied at school - ''Life's not fair son ... deal with it!''

Judas is right bitterness tears you up - from the inside out.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Even

if he did come back, IMO it would be like Schumacer in F1, the rest of field is getting younger with a riding style that is faster. CS is fast but I think in the time away everyone else has got faster and they dont have a wife and a lawn monkey to worry about. I believe he will save face and stay away as if he came back and was mediocre the world will turn on the guy and he doesnt have that many friends in Moto gp because of the way he left. Maybe he could go to wsbk and clean up there first before trying to get back into Moto gp. (please note I said clean up and not try and clean up). Any hoo I would like to see the milky bar kid back racing in any class of bike racing.

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

If HRC offer Stoner a ride, I think he might take it.  Now they have got the bike back to being the best on the grid, after Stoner developed it backwards, I think he will be glad to get a decent ride again.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices