Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

Yamaha denied Jorge Lorenzo’s pre-season request to test an Open class spec YZR-M1 because it made no sense in letting the Spaniard evaluate a bike they had no intention of him racing.MCN exclusively revealed earlier this month that the double MotoGP world champion had requested an Open-spec YZR-M1 test because he felt 24 litres and access to softer compound Bridgestone...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 178 days ago (28 March 2014 14:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

SlowMos

Sure know how to, hope they don't forget their pointy hat and big red nose next time they post...

irony1
ˈʌɪrəni/
noun
noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

See? Even Oxford would disagree with them.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Thanks for the defintion DeGarlicbreath, now you might understand my post about Wayne Rainey...

or not.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Back to the article

Why should Yamaha let Lorenzo test the open bike when he should be focusing on getting the factory m1 to suit him as he is obviously un happy with it. For gods sake he posted a picture of himself playing golf on facebook!!! Its a slippery slope I tell you.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

AlexDAbomB69

He is in HOT waters. Yamaha needs to improve on the bike and this is not going his way, it's simple but he needs to adapt to it.

If you read MCN 28th 03 2014 you'll notice that the M1 have evolved to allow to suit Rossi better, this doersn't come with a 2013 chassis and settings, they tried this, it didn't work. They had to change the bike for 2014.

Since they had issues with tyres grip from Quatar and Losail is generally OK for Yamaha, they still don't know what will happen in the next races, wait and see....

Yamaha Racing: Race Report, 23/03/04.

Valentino Rossi - 2nd, +0.259, 22 Laps
"I’m very happy but a little bit upset because I lost. Marc is very strong and I enjoyed very much the whole race. It was a great race, very funny from the beginning, I started from behind and I had to risk in the first laps. I was very precise and didn't make any mistakes. At the end I played my card with Marc but he was stronger than me so he won and he deserved it. It’s the first time it looked like an old race from MotoGP from ten years ago, all together on the same pace, some mistakes, going wide and so on. Maybe Dorna had a great idea! The Yamaha is always good in Qatar and I worked very hard in the practice for the race. I’m very happy with the work of my team and the bike was great in the race too. But anyway I am so happy for this start to the year, now we have to continue like this. Usually Jorge is so fantastic and so strong in the first laps so I don't understand what the mistake was.”

Reply to this Topic
Druids

Sep 10

Druids says:

"Why should Yamaha let Lorenzo test the open bike when he should be focusing on getting the factory m1 to suit him as he is obviously un happy with it"

Last time I remember Lorenzo had issues with the new tyres, something that will be fixed for Le Mans, but with the bike, where did that come from please ?

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Strange DeGreasyhole, Rossi doesn't understand (I just read your quote, so don't argue) but you do?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Not just Le Mans

Last season's tyres are being used at the next race. Bridgestone say they have a supply issue - they haven't enough 2014 tyres to supply all the teams. Is this really credible?

Or has the number of riders complaining about the 2014 tyres meant they have back-tracked into providing last year's tyres for Cota. The heat shield was for 'saftey reasons' but as there were no safety issues last year, so why the need for a modification on safety grounds?

A lot of crashes at Qatar, a lot of complaints about the tyres in testing and for the next race they provide last year's tyres. Has someone had a word?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I don't dismiss what you

are arguing De Grasse. I think the 800 formula was set up to result in race bikes more like 250s than 500s (or 990s for that matter) with Honda , a major author/parent expecting it to suit their chosen one, Dani Pedrosa, and more interested  in pursuing abstruse engineering theories/mass centralisation etc than racing. As it turned out, perhaps ironically, the Ducati needed to be slid to work, and probably the Honda was faster if slid as well, with Stoner demonstrating this and Pedrosa being faster after somewhat altering how he rode the bike  after Stoner joined HRC, and MM riding the 1000 in a similar way.

I think you are on shakier ground with Jorge on the Yamaha. He has been consistently rather successful on  the bike, whether as lead rider or not, and did rather well on the "Rossi" Yamaha in 2009 and 2010 as people keep pointing out to you. Yamaha may well be better off with a Rossi direction for this year's bike with the different engine and tyres, and Dorna with an eye on the box-office fairly clearly preferring old-style riding and racing to boring metronomic corner speed riding.

The facts remain that Jorge pushed a very close to his peak Rossi in 2009 (2008 being as well as VR ever rode imo) quite hard in his 2nd year in the premier class, and since then  has made fewer mistakes in races than pretty well anyone. The Qatar first lap mistake on which you are basing much may still prove to be Jorge's one  mistake for this year on past form. Even the unquestioned greats like Doohan and Rossi tended to have one race when they screwed up in their best years.   

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

His body langauge

after the crash at Qatar said it all, it was like he expected it. When he got up he just waved it off like he knew that was coming, now there isnt enough of this years tyres so you can have last years, what a crock of sh!t.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

doohanfan

You're right, there, Nicky Hayden was saying they still could smoke the tyres with the 800, what people don't understand is that Rossi's bikes had the more "traditional" Yamaha balance and could be ridden fast by a much larger number of riders with different style, the opposite of "Lorenzo bikes", that's optimisation of chassis design and setting ranges available to the other guys.

From the 500 to the 800, Yamaha never lost the edge on corner speed they had on Honda but lost on braking,  turnability and acceleration from 2011.

What people (or rather some of them) like to skip are the bits i posted about the Yamaha test in Valencia and the introduction of a new swing arm at the Mans 2011, it was designed to asses Lorenzo lack of confidence in the turns compared to what he had in 2009 and 2010 (says a lot about Rossi skills with development).

But the 2011 chassis issue was not necessarily going to be assessed the way they did, as evidence, they change that for 2014, bottom line; Rossi back at Yamaha, the factory have its own agenda, if Jorge can't adapt to it, the newbies will be more than happy to take his seat.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices