Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DavidCushman

Dec 02

DavidCushman says:

BMW offers ABS checks

See related article link above- add your comments here:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 9 years ago (20 December 2005 10:33)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
k90arl

Dec 05

k90arl says:

what a cheek

I had my ABS checked by woolaston BMW on the 15th of Dec and they charged me for the job. Did they know about the problem by then or has the problem cropped up in the last 6 days. I wander?

Reply to this Topic
xxvbloke

Nov 04

xxvbloke says:

k90arl

This problem has been around for a while, have a look at the forum [b]Other News[/b]. The thread is over 300 posts long and if you have a spare few days and can read German you can read all about it. A user [b]hijag[/b] has been spouting on about a couple of accidents on track training days whereby a series of emergency stops cause the system not to recharge/reset itself correctly or something. Now the chances of this happening in the real world are miniscule and his reaction of if you ride a BMW you are going to die are a tad extreme. BMW seemed to try to stonewall the situation first and faced with growing coverage over there have been doing checks for a while. So I guess the UK BMW are just catching up and covering their backs.

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

too complex

There are indeed brake ECU failures. And servo failures. It's also the sensors and the brake light switch that fail. It's a complex braking system! I wonder why this issue now pops up in the UK. And different to Germany, France and the US the free brake inspection began very late and will only last till the end of February. In the other countries its april. Think abut the reason. I did.

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

failure rate is 27%

According to [url=http://www.motorradonline.de/d/196174?template=d_mrd_voting_ergebnis]a survey of MOTORRAD 27% of the Integrated Brakes had problems![/url] This survey was in the print editon of MOTORRAD in Summer 2005 without any comment. A safety system that has a failure rate of 27% is by definition an unsafety system. [b]Right?[/b] And I found in the German newspaper DIE WELT (SPRINGER publishing house) numbers: [url=http://www.welt.de/data/2005/07/09/742952.html?prx=1]"Von den 260 000 Exemplaren seien es nicht mehr als 30 Motorräder gewesen, an denen Teile des Bremssystems getauscht wurden. Knapp tausend weiteren Beschwerden sei man nachgegangen, ohne einen Fehler dingfest machen zu können."[/url] Which means that there have been not more than 30 motorcycles on which THEY have changed parts of the braking system. And that THEY have investigated nearly thousand complaints by customers but coudn't find any faults. Thousand customers were wrong? Sure? These numbers are from July 2005. I wonder what the real numbers are right now.

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

new brakes 2007

Anyway I was just reading BMW MOTORRÄDER from MO publishing house, current issue. F 800-models and the R 1200 S model might get a further ABS development on the basis of F 650-Bosch-Brembo. You can switch the ABS off and there is no brake boster or integrated function at all! But R 1200 GS Adventure and the new K 1200 GT will still get the old and obviously in some cases unreliable Integrated Brakes from FTE Automotive (the GT has Integrated Brakes by standard, it's not an option!). The new Integrated Brakes by Continental Teves, the "Top-Braking System" might be still not ready. It might come in 2007, successive for all models.

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

SAY NO TO ABS

There is a thread at UKGSER where riders tell others about their dislike of the Integrated Brakes and that they will buy their bikes without these brakes in question: [url=http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60423&page=1&pp=16] to ABS or not to ABS?[/url]

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

RECALL OF BMW INTEGRATED BRAKES !!!

They are recalling the Brakes! The fix reduces high pressure gradients. It will lengthen the time to build up pressure. For R12GS owners there will be an additional fix, they will re-route the sensor cable (again). K1200S owners might get new brake disks. According to my information there is no fix for the residual brakes regardless which model, i.e. a pressure reservoir. That is very bad because the residual brakes caused accidents and frightened riders, but they are legal. As you remember there are at least [url=http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netzeitung.de%2Fautoundtechnik%2Fmotorrad%2F350622.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools]80 cases known alone in Germany[/url] where the brakes shifted to residuals (inquiry General German Automobile Association). In addition, [url=http://www.motorradonline.de/d/196174/?anz_antwort=3&template=d_mrd_voting_ergebnis]27% had issues[/url] with the integrated brakes from BMW (inquiry of MOTORRAD magazine)! [url=http://www.tagesschau.de/sendungen/0,1196,OID4512510_VID4512628_OIT4512532_RESreal120_PLYinternal_NAV,00.html]This is the German TV-News that caused the "free brake check" for taming the customers and the four pages warning (extension to the manual).[/url] What caused the recent brake recall? The pressure from the KBA (Federal Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Drivers)? The pressure from the German Federal Prosecutor? I don't know. In the TV-News (linke above) they said, BMW dosn't see any reason for recalling the brakes. But now they do.

Reply to this Topic
hijag

Dec 04

hijag says:

case dropped

The German Federal Criminal Prosecutor (Munich/Germany) dropped the case against BMW on 03/10/2008. They were investigating for about two years! Attached you will find  a copy of the reasons he dropped the case: PDF, 169KB, German Language!(PDF, 169KB)

Summary: The problem is that there is no time stamp but a milage stamp stored with the faults in the ABS-brain. But the milage stamp is only logged every 8 Kilometers! So the experts never know when the fault really happend and if the fault was the reason for a crash or the consequence of a crash.

Important to mention: Some of the bikes that crashed did not show any logged fault. That dosn't mean there was no fault, but there is no proof of such fault.

The case is dropped for now and in the future. [B]There is simply no proof! That is proven![/B]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices