Hill dominates final race of weekend at Brands
BSB Brands Hatch: Hill dominates final race
07 August 2011 17:45
Tommy Hill dominated the final race of the weekend at Brands Hatch with a strong start that enabled the Swan Yamaha rider to take and maintain the lead. Hill held off Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki's John Hopkins, taking the win with a 4 second gap, whilst Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) claimed his second podium finish of the weekend in third.
Hill's determined start saw him take the lead going into Paddock Hill Bend ahead of Hopkins and Byrne, with Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) close behind. Laverty tussled with Byrne for third but was unable to make a move stick, whilst race one winner Josh Brookes was forced to abandon the final race on the fifth lap when his Relentless Suzuki by TAS suffered mechanical problems and he was shown the black and orange flag.
The fight for third continued with Laverty trying to pass Bryne at Druids on lap twelve, but Byrne held a tight line and clung to third place.
Suzuka 8 hour race winner and reigning champion Ryuichi Kiyonari recovered from his fourth row start, battling through the field on his HM Plant Honda to take sixth, finishing just behind Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati rider Michael Rutter, who had to work hard to stave off Kiyonari.
MSS Colchester Kawasaki rider Gary Mason took seventh place, finishing in front of Kawasaki WSB rider Joan Lascorz and Peter Hickman (WFR Honda). Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) completed the top ten.
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha)
2. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +4.113s
3. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +5.236s
4. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +5.409s
5. Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +10.705s
6. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +11.049s
7. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +13.689s
8. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki WSB) +13.950s
9. Peter Hickman (WFR Honda) +19.382s
10. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +19.770s
BSB Championship standings after Brands Hatch:
1. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 255
2. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 231
3. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 210
4. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 163
5. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 146
6. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 135